Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes Database Project (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=239)
-   -   N. truncata Cultivation guide (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=2962)

arvin555 2nd September 2009 10:15 AM

N. truncata Cultivation guide

Species: N. truncata
Highland/Lowland: Highland & Intermediate
Country of Origin: Philippines
Natural Habitat:
Described by:

Cultivation Guide

Lighting: 60 to 80% sunlight (some full sun)
Potting Medium: Coco chips
Temperature: 20C to 38C
Humidity: 60 to 80%
Watering: Daily
Propagation: Seeds

Remarks:
Though N. truncata is considered a highland or intermediate, there are some low land varieties and even the highland varieties should acclimate to lowland conditions.

Slow growth rate. Does not seem to like too wet a medium, the water tray if present should be allowed to go dry a bit before watering. Benefits from a big pot as well.

I have never heard of propagation by cutting yet, seems difficult, probably even more difficult than Veitchii.

Pitchers seem to grow quite big if it is resting on top of something so that the leaf does not support the pitcher by itself.

Aliamyz 2nd September 2009 02:37 PM

Re: N. truncata Cultivation guide

It will take at least 5 months for it to recover after stress.Mine died though.:(

NepNut 2nd September 2009 03:19 PM

If I may add from my experience with N. truncata, they prefer very well drain media, just treat them like you're growing any epiphytic plant (more or less), they have thick leaves so they can handle a short period of dry out condition (but that doesn't mean low humidity). I don't use water tray method and don't think that's neccessary for growing N. truncata.

I prefer using smaller pot mainly because smaller pot size have smaller volume hence it won't be able to hold too much water and dry out faster especially during monsoon season if you grow your plants outdoor.

I found BE's N. truncata "Pasian" is a much vigorous grower compared to MT's clone in L/L tropical weather. BE's clone seems to be able to acclimitise fully to flourish in L/L tropical condition. My 2 cents.

kit1212 2nd September 2009 04:17 PM

What media do you use ?

NepNut 2nd September 2009 04:42 PM

I'm currently using 60% perlite : 30% coco chips : 10% charcoal. Will be experimenting with just chunks of coco chips next trial, L/L N. veitchii seems to be doing well for me with 100% coco chips.

marvin1997 2nd September 2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpnut (Post 20118)
If I may add from my experience with N. truncata, they prefer very well drain media, just treat them like you're growing any epiphytic plant (more or less), they have thick leaves so they can handle a short period of dry out condition (but that doesn't mean low humidity). I don't use water tray method and don't think that's neccessary for growing N. truncata.

I prefer using smaller pot mainly because smaller pot size have smaller volume hence it won't be able to hold too much water and dry out faster especially during monsoon season if you grow your plants outdoor.

I found BE's N. truncata "Pasian" is a much vigorous grower compared to MT's clone in L/L tropical weather. BE's clone seems to be able to acclimitise fully to flourish in L/L tropical condition. My 2 cents.

RIGHT!!!Although Fauzi told me already*biggrin2*He says the neps that come from Phllipines prefer airy media

kentosaurs 2nd September 2009 08:29 PM

Umm as for me....Mine did well at the beginning till it got attack by rust spot fungus...They seem to get this fungus easier then other neps...I agree with the airier mix..I've also read that do not over pot them......

plantlover 2nd September 2009 08:49 PM

Mine is fine. It is still growing. All my neps experience the same condition. Bad quality LFS, filtered water, 65-80% humidity and full sun with some shade sometimes.

kit1212 2nd September 2009 10:13 PM

Thx guys,this really has enligtened me on how to grow interesting neps like N.truncata.Btw where can I get cocochips?

arvin555 3rd September 2009 10:18 AM

Marvin, please be careful, do not generalize "all neps from Philippines" because not all neps here are Epiphytes, N. alata (lowland) and N. Mirabilis like continually moist medium and not well drained.

Ken what does "overpotting" mean? Do not use too big pots?

Thanks guys for your feedbacks, comments and questions, I learned a lot and the initial data will be edited accordingly :)

TTFN
Arvin