Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Projects (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   seed bank for petpitcher.net (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3068)

edwardyeeks 25th March 2010 10:00 PM

Re: seed bank for petpitcher.net

Err....I don't really understand what you mean, allenphoon. Are you suggesting that we sell various carnivorous plants or that we buy various carnivorous plants, harvest the seeds when the flowers bloom and sell the seeds?

Buying a lot of carnivorous plants will take a lot of resources and time. You'll have to open a nursery like Fauzi's if you want to have lots of them. Plus, the main purpose of the seed bank is to encourage the donation of seeds. Buying lots of carnivorous plants is expensive, hard to send and hard to maintain.

Don't worry, most of us here are quite generous *biggrin2*

allenphoon 25th March 2010 10:25 PM

No...i mean that David buy other species of seeds from overseas with the balance money OR he can use it to buy seeds then he can dispatch to others members so that they can plant it to get more experience (of course, with charges) and hence, we can harvest it at the end by just asking them to donate a numbers of seeds back so that David will not need a lot of energy and time taking care of them while others help him to plant.
Examples
David gave out 10packts of seeds to 10peoples
Then, he requested to have a number of seeds back to him after the seeds had been harvested
Then, the circles reoccur or he can put the seeds into the seed bank for sell

Understand?? XD

allenphoon 25th March 2010 10:26 PM

By that way, the seeds will generate more seeds, but of course, there maybe some problem like failure of germination, shipment problem and bla bla bla~

David 26th March 2010 04:01 PM

The main purpose of the Seed Bank is to encourage members and enthusiasts in the idea of conservation as well. We wanted to give something back by generating money from the seed bank and donating it to conservation causes that will help perserve CPs in the wild. A lot of Cp sites worldwide is being destroyed at a very rapid rate because of development and poaching. As CP lovers we must be aware of this and show some concern.

It will cost too much to purchase other CP seeds and if we do purchase Cps that we have not cared for before, the percentage of that plant dying is very high. And soon we would have depleted the money and seeds in the seed bank. Moreover, the majority of CPs except a few like byblis, needs a long time to germinate, grow and flower. It is too long a time to wait and the risk of the plant dying at every stage of it's growth is very high. Also, if the seed bank starts buying seeds to give members, where will future funds come from and what happens if that member who received the seeds dissapeared? We are afterall operating in the virtual world. It is not practical.

The system in the seed bank encourages members to donate seeds by giving back free seeds from the seed bank to donors. The seed bank is relative new. Give it some time and we will have different CP seeds available. If you want more species of seeds available, donate to the seed bank and help promote it. That will bring more supporters and donors in and automatically increases the seeds and seed species in the seed bank. It is a joint effort by everyone and the seed bank will only work with the support of members.

I have started a seed exchange programs some time back with enthusiats and nurseries in other countries. These seeds will be made available when I have the time to sort them out. They just arrived a few days ago. :) There will be new CP seeds that the seed bank has never carried before. So check back soon.

allenphoon 26th March 2010 04:40 PM

Okay...i will help to drag some members that i know to come here!!
Here, i wish you to success!!!
I also will glad to donate some, but now waiting it to be ripe.... :P

edwardyeeks 26th March 2010 08:56 PM

David, wait until I get flowering CPs. I'll donate until the seed bank bursts with seeds *biggrin2*

David 26th March 2010 10:16 PM

Encouraging to hear these positive remarks from the two of you.... Now I am worried if I can cope when that day comes... haa haa haaa...

cbkhoon 26th March 2010 11:36 PM

I have bought seeds from ebay many times b4, so far there is only one seller in thailand selling fresh seeds at good price... i buy from him many times b4, more seeds given and sometime extra FOC seeds from other species given as well.

example, i buy 50, i got more than 100... i buy 3 type, i got 4 type....

the suggestion to buy and resell the seeds can be done but our admin might need to put in a lot or effort to make this happen. So it is up to mr. Admin.

TQ for ur effort so far ! :1thumbup:

David 27th March 2010 10:50 PM

It is not up to me, the Administrator, to make this happen. Members can and should take the initiative to do this if they want to or feel that it benefit members. Also, the suggestion by Allen was for the seed bank to buy seeds and give to members, not buy and resell as you mentioned.

If you are talking about buying and reselling, I think (my 2 cents lah) it would be better for members to just buy directly from the source? Seeds will be fresher and the person in charge would not need to waste his effort buying the seeds and reselling to members. If you're asking the seed bank to do this, then the seed bank will need to charge a higher price to members. It would not benefit members and the seed bank's objectives will need to be altogether changed. If the seed bank's objectives are to changed in this manner, it cannot be parked under PetPitcher as the seed bank's objectives will not be in line with the forum's mission and objectives. It cannot be done.

The seed bank is a seed exchange program where members can donate extra seeds that they may have for the mutual benefit of other members or request for seeds in the Seed Bank for building their personal collection. The Seed Bank does not exist to make money for PetPitcher or the Administrator. The idea behind this is to promote the cultivation and conservation of carnivorous plants and aid in the spread of seeds. Therefore the prices of seeds offered to members are below market value. Also, donors get free seeds. The Seed Bank is set up for three main reasons:

- Make available/affordable carnivorous plant seeds to more enthusiasts.
- Encourage member’s interest and enjoyment of these amazing plants.
- Get members involve in supporting carnivorous plant conservation work.

If members would like to start another program of buying seeds and reselling it to members, you are encourage to do so. At the moment I am not sure how it would benefit members. But if you can put in effort to work it out and members like it, then go for it.

strath76 29th March 2010 07:17 AM

I agree with David. If people want to buy seeds they can get them from the same sources as Pet Pitcher would. The initial scope of the seedbank was to encourage members to share seed and promote CP conservation through donations if/when the seedbank generated enough money through sales.

Of course for the seedbank to work it requires donations from all members with a range of plants not just the same people donating the same seed all the time. As people donate a wider range of plants it will ensoutrage others to donate as well and this is how we generate a wider species range.

On the conservation point I woule recommend donating to the Meadowview Research Facility inthe US. They purchase degraded sites in Virginia, USA and restore the natural ecosystem and then reintroduce species. They are focussed on S. flava and S. purpurea as these are critically threatened. I have posted a link below. Cheers.

http://www.pitcherplant.org/