Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Pinguicula (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   General knowledge about Ping. (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=4544)

jimmy0123 3rd October 2010 07:45 PM

General knowledge about Ping.

Hi everyone. I got a flowered P.Tina a few days ago and was wondering anyone can provide a general care for this species like light, water, dormancy etc... Greatly Appreciate ur help

jeff 4th October 2010 05:46 PM

Re: General knowledge about Ping.

it is an horticol hybrids

normally a calcareous substrate like their parent

a very good light but not inevitably the sunshine

watering all the 15 days or on a month ( by capillarity )

actually in dormancy no watering , keep just the substrate slightly wet .

jeff

jimmy0123 4th October 2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff (Post 33440)
it is an horticol hybrids

normally a calcareous substrate like their parent

a very good light but not inevitably the sunshine

watering all the 15 days or on a month ( by capillarity )

actually in dormancy no watering , keep just the substrate slightly wet .

jeff

I currently using water tray method and giving it full sunlight. Is this ok or should i partially shade it ?

piscesilim 4th October 2010 08:37 PM

Our full sun is too hot for Mex. Pings. I suggest you give it 70 % shade. You can let it to sit on water tray. But the water level must be low. 1 cm should be ok.

jimmy0123 4th October 2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piscesilim (Post 33443)
Our full sun is too hot for Mex. Pings. I suggest you give it 70 % shade. You can let it to sit on water tray. But the water level must be low. 1 cm should be ok.

Ok i try this out first. I put it in full sun for few days and the leaves somewhat soft n bendy like not its usual stiffness (lol not sure my explanation is good or not). Thx for suggestion

jeff 5th October 2010 07:04 PM

yes in shade or with a morning sunlight ( always less hot here in europe)

for me do not keep the mexican ( or hybrids) ping stagnate in the water , between 2 watering always keep the substrate dry .

and make to them a dormancy

jeff

jimmy0123 5th October 2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff (Post 33455)
yes in shade or with a morning sunlight ( always less hot here in europe)

for me do not keep the mexican ( or hybrids) ping stagnate in the water , between 2 watering always keep the substrate dry .

and make to them a dormancy

jeff

I saw some people use mostly like rock for medium to keep it dry is that ok cause now im using sphagnum moss? How do u handle Ping. dormancy? What are the sign and what should i do:confused:

jeff 6th October 2010 12:04 AM

I use for all my mexican ping ( eventualy the hybrids ) a mineral substrate ( the base : clay and limestone) just to have a good draining , for them the air hygrometry ( 70-80%) is also more important .

sphagnum moss ( hydroponic substrate) or blond peat is just a horticutural substrate for the hybrids or some others , attention to the rot with this substrate .

to have a dormancy on the mexican keep them from 10 to 12 °c ( may be difficult in your country) from november to may often in dry condition

for the hybrid you can see the dormancy when they reduce their leave and when they become succulent ( often without 'mucilage' )

jeff

piscesilim 6th October 2010 12:55 AM

I am using 2 part perlite : 1 part sphagnum moss as substrate. No dormancy since 2008.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...m/DSCN9606.jpg

Harris Azariel 6th October 2010 02:17 AM

is that around the size of a 20cent coin?