Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Highland Nightime Temperature Drops... (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1226)

kentosaurs 27th September 2008 11:07 PM

Highland Nightime Temperature Drops...

Hi Forum,

Hi everyone i started this thread to look at your "creative" ways to produce nightime temparature drops for you highland neps.And also what highland plants do you have which thrive in your place??...
Well i'll start with mine no elctronics don't work as much as you guys with the gadjets and stuff.

-polystyrene box(those they use to sell fish in market)
-size L 49xW 37x H37
-couple of iced bottles
Plant
-only one N ventricosa

I just started this thing today so lets hope it'll do well for my N ventricosa.I know ventricosa's can survive and pitcher in lowland conditions but mine is coming out with smaller pitchers everytime it produces one.It has 2 basal shoots which is suprisingly constantly pitchering and pitcher and leaves getting bigger and bigger everytime.
Weird mother plant not doing well basal shoots doing just fine.

So has anyone tried what i do????And if you have does it actually work??:confused::confused:I'm not sure how long will the cool air last in there but i experiment on it.I just love:wub: trying stuff with my neps without using to much money.Well thats all:1thumbup::1thumbup::1thumbup:

Ken

kentosaurs 28th September 2008 08:52 AM

Re: Highland Nightime Temperature Drops...

Wel i've tried it yesterday and its definitly usefull for highland neps temparature went down quite a lot.The ice bottles remain partly frozen even after10 hours!!I only opened the box a little yesterday.Today i'm gonna open half of the box to let some air in and not freeze the plants....

So how low temparature can N ventricosa take??? Since the ice bottles are still pretty frozen i would say its almost freezing inside there.Well 25 views isn't a lot but just posting it for fun :D

Ken

plantlover 28th September 2008 10:15 AM

The temperature at night at my house is cold naturally.(Maybe not enough cold)and it is humid(cause all my plants leaves have dew, all glass becomes foggy, you can feel moisture in the air. But during daytime the temperature can go up a lot. Just like how some CPs loves it.

kentosaurs 28th September 2008 04:14 PM

Hi Aaron,

I see so if it gets dew on your plants it should be cold enough only sometimes where my plants get dew only on very very cold nights.Most neps can handle high temps all they need to do is adapt to the new enviroment.

Ken

Ifurita 28th September 2008 04:47 PM

I just use air-con, so I guess I'm not creative either. The plants simply sit next to my window in my room and they get air-con only at night when I turn it on at bedtime. That's it. Too lazy to shift to and fro. There's a bunch of stuff that's surviving, tho...thriving...hmm...the highest altitude species which gives me consistent mature pitchers is burbidgeae or eymae so far. I do have a hamata and villosa which are around 1-2 years old in my care and they do pitcher, but they're still tiny and the pitchers aren't mature pitchers, so they don't count I guess.

plantlover 28th September 2008 04:52 PM

Everynight(not sometimes) my whole house gets quite cold and always humid. Especially after a heavy rain it will get even colder.

plantlover 28th September 2008 04:56 PM

There has been a couple of times it rain very early in the morning and later at about 6.00 am the plants are ultra-dewy and even wet. I just love this feeling because I really really hate heat.

kentosaurs 29th September 2008 08:42 PM

Hi

I tried it now and it does work temparature does go down by quite a lot and probally lower than what i needed.The ice bottles still remain partly frozen after 10 hours.Oh yeah,after the next morning i found some moisture on the plants leaves quite a lot of them is that what u call dew 0.o??

Ken

malowie 29th September 2008 08:58 PM

i hope you guys wont laugh at me but a few years ago, a lady in YG park once told me to put ICE CUBES on the subsrate in the pot!

i was like wth?

and yes, being a small, naive person back then, i tried it. my neps died! on was a sanguinea, the other a lovely rafflesiana!

this is no joke.. so dont take heed of anyone telling you to put ice cubes on the plant lol!

kentosaurs 29th September 2008 09:42 PM

Hi malowie,

Don't worry nobodies laughing...i myself have tried crazy ideas to provide low temparature drops for my neps.I've once tried what u did and had negatif affects on it

Ken