Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How to increase humidity outdoors (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1783)

kentosaurs 31st December 2008 03:49 PM

How to increase humidity outdoors

Hi forumers

Just as the title says is there a way to increase humidity????? And well i am trying to obtain higher humidty without using gadjets or any electronic devices.....Meaning manual ways...I've heard like water trays and hanging wet towels to lower the temperature...And wet towels on a hot day and direct sunlight on my balcony dries the whole towel up very fast....So is there any other options to lower temperature and higher humidity???:unsure::unsure:I'm a little concern about my neps.....They're leaves are getting scorched pitchers are drying up fast...

Ken

Aliamyz 31st December 2008 04:02 PM

Re: How to increase humidity outdoors

Why do you want to lower humidity and temperature Ken?

kentosaurs 31st December 2008 04:18 PM

Hi Ali

Umm sorry not lower humidity higher humidity and lower temp.

Ken

plantlover 31st December 2008 04:37 PM

I don't do anything special to increase humidity or lower temperature.

Aliamyz 31st December 2008 04:38 PM

Misting is the best way for that..if you don't want to do that too............

plantlover 31st December 2008 04:39 PM

Well maybe me growing lotus and waterlilies help increase humidity as the water evaporates. And my tall neighbours house helps decrease the temperature by providing a little shade.

kentosaurs 31st December 2008 04:54 PM

Hi Aaron

KLs weather and johor may differ a little bit......The weather here is slightly hotter and drier.....Well does tray that are being used by sarrs VFTs and droseras help to increase humidity??? Well Ali yeah i do that too....Proballys becasue of the sun that my leaves are getting scorched.

Ken

plantlover 31st December 2008 05:00 PM

Its not that different, ken. Rain than no rain for a few days.

David 31st December 2008 09:56 PM

Aaron, the air in Kl is indeed drier and hotter as compared to Johor. I can feel the difference as I do travel outstation. On top of that Johor has more belukar and greens.

Ken,

The water trays do increase humidity a little. Since your plants are placed in the balcony of your apartment you cannot use shade cloth. Your management won't allow that. Shade cloth actually helps increase humidity within the area it covers.

The only other thing I can think of is for you to place more plants in your balcony among your nepenthes. Put them all close together. Water evaporates from the leaves of plants too and that will increase humidity. Also your neps will get dappled sunlight. Then your problem with scorched leaves will be solved.

edwardyeeks 1st January 2009 10:07 PM

I always spray my plants. It helps tons. And plus, my mom always hangs clothes at the balcony, so humidity increases a little.

Yeah, Johor air is more cleaner and humid. My trip down to johor was really nice and invigorating, soooo many plants!!

Cheers