Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Terrarium humidity (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1861)

kentosaurs 12th January 2009 11:31 AM

Terrarium humidity

Hi everyone

Okays i recently got a hygrometer ( a cheap one ) from a pet shop in Ikano......And so i placed it in my terrarium for highland neps and i realised that humidity is very constant but i can't seem to get the humidity higher at night.Almost 90% of the time humidity is around 70+ and normally after i water my neps or mist them they only go to 80-84%........It never gets lower than 70% in the terrarium which is good but somehow i can't raise the humidity at night....I already have a box cover with water inside the terrarium and i'm not sure if that even raises humidity but i hope it does.....For now i don't intend to buy a humidifier or stuff like that cos it cost to much.Anyone has made they're terrariums having higher humidity at night without special gadjets????????????:smile:

Ken:1thumbup:

alcran 12th January 2009 11:49 AM

Re: Terrarium humidity

Any sort of drop in temp will raise the humidity. What highlanders are you growing? 70 is fine, I don't think raising humidity at night will have any benefits beside the drop in temp to achieve the higher humidity. I've found hamata, eymae, stenophylla, and izumiae all to be very tolerant of low humidity at night.

kentosaurs 12th January 2009 11:54 AM

Hi alcran

I do cool my neps down which is a rajah and a lady pauline both S size by putting a frozen container and 2 bottles which it will go down to around 14-18C its kinda random....I don't know why but the humidity doesn't really increase much only maybe from the 70's to the 80's.......I heard that highland neps like very high humidity at night so well thats why i asked.

Ken

Boris 13th January 2009 03:35 AM

Hi Ken,
I think your humidity sounds very good ... even a bit dangerous for getting fungus and root rot. Temperatures around 18° C are ideal conditions for all sorts of fungi. You should provide a good air circulation (better invest in a neat fan than a humidifier) and lots of light with this high humidity to avoid fungus attacks. In my highland basement room I've got at daytime humidity of about 50's to 60's and at night about 80's and for example hamata, lowiis, ephippiatas and aristolochioidis are thriving. Only my rajah isn't doing well but it never did. But I'm quite sure that it isn't the humidity ... don't know.
Also don't trust cheap hygrometers. Those can give you an idea about the humidity but often are far away from the right values.

kentosaurs 13th January 2009 08:59 AM

Hi Boris

Well the low temps are only at night............And most of the time its 15C.Anyways i don't have a fan though but so far no attacks of any sort. Everytime i water it i take them out at the balcony and water them leave them there to have a little circulation for maybe 3 hours? Than i put them back.Even when they're inside sometimes i open the top to let air in and sometimes take the top to "fan" it :p So far nothing yet and i hope it stays this way...Even LFS hasn't turn algae-ish

Ken

Boris 13th January 2009 04:24 PM

Well ... I didn't talked about algae. I talked about fungus and root rot.

kentosaurs 13th January 2009 10:05 PM

Oh yeah sorry..............Anyways so for it looks okay...And also no fungus yet.

Ken