Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Tree shrew problem (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=4527)

jimmy0123 28th September 2010 01:16 PM

Tree shrew problem

Did anyone have the problem of tree shrew biting off the nep pitcher? I've been getting this problem and my nep hvnt been producing fully developed pitcher for months :unsure:. They like to target my N. maxima the most but less in N rafflesiana and N alata. I hag them up but they seem to manage to climb up to the pots and then bye bye to my pitcher. Have any suggestion to solve this problem? Getting really frustrated :spinning:.

caseyhoo 28th September 2010 01:40 PM

Re: Tree shrew problem

Rat cage?

jimmy0123 28th September 2010 01:44 PM

It didnt work i try a few times. Furthermore i dont know what to do after catching it either kill (cant do it i too soft lol) or release it (might come back??). I was hopping like some home remedies or some chemical that can prevent them from coming.... Any suggestion?

NepNut 28th September 2010 02:23 PM

I think funkychips faced the same problems like yours... I mostly have rats chewing on my pitchers... :sweating:

jimmy0123 28th September 2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NepNut (Post 33225)
I think funkychips faced the same problems like yours... I mostly have rats chewing on my pitchers... :sweating:

What do u do with it? mayb i can borrow the idea and try it out :tongue: beside putting rat trap (i try it it dint work)

sooxiwei 28th September 2010 04:57 PM

I got prob with rodden, they love the typical n. rafflesiana, they didn't chew off the whole thing, but rather break a part of it...you can try some banana with rat poison, but for long term might not work

Angkau Tekor 28th September 2010 05:35 PM

This is what people in my area used to do during fruiting seasons. They will trapped one and spray painted that poor fella in bright color. Then they will spray perfume on it before releasing it. Once released that poor fella's natural instinct is to get back to it's colony and the colony when they see some weird looking and funny smelling thing approaching them will run helter skelter. This might sound crazy but i had seen it works before. *biggrin2*

marvin1997 28th September 2010 08:20 PM

Too cruel >< Hang dead rat body to scare them off... wakaka

kevyn chan 28th September 2010 08:40 PM

caged them!! not the rodents but your precious neps!!!*biggrin2*

funkychips 28th September 2010 08:53 PM

FINALLY FINALLY someone that can relate to the tree shrew and rat problem I'm facing!!!:crying::crying:

Jimmy: I got tree shrew + rat problems. Basically at war with them all year long...tree shrews at the second half of the year during fruiting season and rats on the first half during dry season...:veryangry::veryangry::veryangry:

AngkauTekor & CWay: Thanks so much for the tip bro I'm gonna do just that! :veryangry::veryangry::veryangry: Remove the tree shrews at any cost!! Don't get me wrong here I love having nature scampering around my garden but they're just doing something that does not seem too nice to my plants....but rats are another story....sigh....how to get rid of them? They're too smart to enter traps, they eat box after box of rat poison and even tear the box to eat what's inside and they leave a mess of their toilet stuff everywhere they go...

Nepnut: For the rats, they dig up my moss and bury fish bones in the pots, and the shrews shred the red pitchers on one side leaving the other side intact, as if to mock me. How crazy can these b****y critters get??? If someone keeps civet cats I'll gladly buy some p** off to use as bio weapon ie instead of painting the shrew can spray the stuff on it and everybody back at his home will run because civet is a predator...:1thumbup:

Alvin