Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Bad (Root) Hair Day (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3253)

poweramps 1st November 2009 08:43 PM

Bad (Root) Hair Day

10 Attachment(s)
This is what my gracilis does after being neglected for a long time. Decided to repot it so I knocked it from the pot and all I see is like a case of bad hair day, all knotted and meshed together.
Attachment 2574

The plant had started producing a lot of basals with nice brown/red pitchers.
Attachment 2575

The view from the bottom of the root ball.
Attachment 2576

Strangely, there are knobby nodules on some part of the roots (blue arrow)
Attachment 2577
Attachment 2578

Whereas some of the roots are nice and cylindrical (white arrows).
Attachment 2579

More basal shoot
Attachment 2580

And finally...in its new home
Attachment 2581
Attachment 2582

The pitchers of this plant - varied from red/brown to red speckled to lemon green with traces of red
Attachment 2583

marvin1997 1st November 2009 08:51 PM

Re: Bad (Root) Hair Day

Hey I think you planted it in the wrong media!!!Isn't this the type of soil that you can buy anywhere?I don't think this is a good idea.....

poweramps 1st November 2009 08:55 PM

Its washed burnt soil. Never had problems with it. I do my rafflesiana, gracilis, hirsuta, reinwardtiana, ventricosa, sanguinea, ampullaria, ventrata, truncata, lowiixcampanulata, eustachya, rajah, albo-marginata, bicalcarata and gracilima in it. Just that you need to be diligent in watering the plants and the pots are really heavy ie not very practical to hang it.

kentosaurs 1st November 2009 11:08 PM

Heard its also good for northiana marvin ;)

ulat 1st November 2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poweramps (Post 22340)
Its washed burnt soil. Never had problems with it. I do my rafflesiana, gracilis, hirsuta, reinwardtiana, ventricosa, sanguinea, ampullaria, ventrata, truncata, lowiixcampanulata, eustachya, rajah, albo-marginata, bicalcarata and gracilima in it. Just that you need to be diligent in watering the plants and the pots are really heavy ie not very practical to hang it.

Hi, is that the Tanah Bakar which can be found in various nursery/ supermarket gardening section?

caseyhoo 2nd November 2009 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulat (Post 22347)
Hi, is that the Tanah Bakar which can be found in various nursery/ supermarket gardening section?

Yes, Ulat... eeemmmm... Feel weired to called you with yours nick name... *biggrin2*

You can put yours name in signature
https://forum.petpitcher.net/profile....=editsignature

ulat 2nd November 2009 01:24 AM

oic..
hehe, signature added, thanks for the guidance :biggrin:

paphioboy 2nd November 2009 07:35 AM

Wow.. those are some roots.. Is the previous media burnt earth too? I don't see any soil at all in the first pic, or have you washed the roots..?

David 2nd November 2009 12:59 PM

I will echo what paphioboy says... that is a massive block of strong thick roots your gracilis has there! Looks like a very strong plant with strong roots.

bactrus 2nd November 2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poweramps (Post 22340)
... I do my rafflesiana, gracilis, hirsuta, reinwardtiana, ventricosa, sanguinea, ampullaria, ventrata, truncata, lowiixcampanulata, eustachya, rajah, albo-marginata, bicalcarata and gracilima in it...

Kelvin, looks like you have been diligently expanding your collection too. Good for you! Gracilima lowland? Eustachya, lowii x xampanulata... Wow! These be interesting. Expect visitor soon.