Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Interaction (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Guppy fish (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=2530)

marvin1997 20th June 2009 09:37 AM

Re: Guppy fish

Hi fishoman,I thought balck guppies are short-lived too?sooxiwei:betta fries will get eaten by aquatic CPs?And betta must be forced to breed???Because you say guppies breed automaticly?

sooxiwei 22nd June 2009 12:43 AM

well, imbellis breed like rabbit too, not hard at all, but can't disturb them too much after breeding, guppy can be disturb even it get pregnant, that's why I feel it is easier, plus that betta jump even with just a small hole that suit it's body size, guppy are more peaceful, even it jump, it won't be as high as betta

David 22nd June 2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bactrus (Post 17512)
David, here's the link http://www.bettasocietymalaysia.com....forum.php?f=24 think you need to register prior to viewing. Try Kepong FRIM I remember someone on that forum mentioned something in the old betta society forum about catching some betta there.

Ok, will check it out when I am free. Thanks.

kentosaurs 26th June 2009 07:16 AM

Hey i have a small aquarium back home and used to grow guppies...About 2 years back bought batch of them some males and females sooo after awhile you get FRY!! I seperated the pregnant females into anther smaller tank and sooo i got lots and lots of fry..They live for about 2 years.....nice...Well for me the red ones die faster.

David 26th June 2009 11:09 AM

Do you still have them Ken? I just got some but I realised the nicer ones or more expensive ones die easier. A few days ago, the electricity tripped in my house and the air pump was stopped for a couple of hours. The expensive ones died. :( Those cheaper ones that are not so colourful survived.

sooxiwei 26th June 2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 17684)
Do you still have them Ken? I just got some but I realised the nicer ones or more expensive ones die easier. A few days ago, the electricity tripped in my house and the air pump was stopped for a couple of hours. The expensive ones died. :( Those cheaper ones that are not so colourful survived.

air pump is not required if there are not too many of them

David 26th June 2009 01:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Maybe that's why they died. Anyway, here's some photos of my guppy pond:

Attachment 1735

Attachment 1736

fishoman 26th June 2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sooxiwei (Post 17688)
air pump is not required if there are not too many of them

A filtration is needed no matter how many fish u keep (except betta) , as a good filtration system can built up good beneficial bacteria and also removes NH4 and NO3 .

David sad to to hear that your expensive guppies RIP but this is a process every beginner will face. I have lost more than 300 guppies before and now I own more than 3000.

A friendly suggestion is that you can put a submerge bio-sponge filter inside your guppy house , this will help.

piscesilim 26th June 2009 08:55 PM

To me, filtration is very important. Unless you like to change water everyday.

kentosaurs 27th June 2009 07:05 AM

Hi David........I gave them away a few months possibly a year back....I still do have my aquarium but i grow other fishes which are also easy like neon tetras and swordtails...Last time i alwys care for them and look at them but then they all start dying....Now i just ignore and the only thing i do is just feed them :) Soo far filtration when my house trip for few hours they are unaffected