Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Recently bought Sphagnum Moss (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=2205)

marvin1997 13th April 2009 06:47 PM

Recently bought Sphagnum Moss

3 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,I just bought a pack of SM.Not sure if it is the kind we use so I bought a small one.See the pic.It says its New Zealand's Sphagnum critatum and Sphagnum subnitens.
Attachment 1456
And I tried to propagate them.tell me if i'm doing the wrong way.
Attachment 1457
Is the mother plant all right?It kind of droopy.Root shock?

kentosaurs 13th April 2009 08:25 PM

Re: Recently bought Sphagnum Moss

Hi Marvin..

I saw that pack in desa park city......Its 27.90 right if i'm not mistaken? Anyways i've got no % to buy those high quality ones hahah

Ken

TS 13th April 2009 08:37 PM

Hi Marvin, yes, that's the high quality sphagnum moss from NZ.
You've just repotted the mother plant? It looked fine to me. Your water level is too high, just half an inch will do. Let it dry before you refill again. :1thumbup:

Zakhren 14th April 2009 11:15 AM

That is the high quality one but it's insanely expensive haha. At Camerons they sell quite big bags for RM6~ I don't know if there's a difference but my plants can't seem to tell.

marvin1997 14th April 2009 06:54 PM

I bought them for RM15.50.I saw sphagum peat moss but its too big for a little grower like me.

TS 14th April 2009 07:54 PM

The sphagnum moss from Cameron (you may also find it in "Jxxxx" Hypermarket) is from China, it's not as good, and it decomposes quite fast.

funkychips 14th April 2009 08:00 PM

I think rm15.50 is ok. Did you buy it at Ace Hardware Marvin? I think I would want to get 1 pack too for keeps. I recall buying some loose bags from Fauzi awhile back. I don't know what species of Sphagnum that is but it's definitely HQ sphagnum. The white ones like TS mention tend to have bad odour and become slimy and soggy to the touch after a few weeks.

marvin1997 14th April 2009 10:38 PM

Yes.I bought it from ACE.Why does the sticker on the Sm says New Trio Products?Is it the same nursey from Tropicana?Anyways what is root hormone?

kentosaurs 14th April 2009 11:09 PM

Hi Marvin...15 ringgit only!!....Man i've gotta get one of those......Almost half the price of the ones in desa park city..

Ken

powersensor 15th April 2009 09:57 PM

Hi Marvin,

High quality moss you got there. What is the weight for this pack of sphagnum moss?