Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Projects (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Terrarium (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1422)

marvin1997 25th October 2008 09:51 PM

Terrarium

Who knows how to built a TERRARIUM?????:confused::confused:
Can I use an old aquarium or something?

Jonathan 25th October 2008 10:59 PM

Re: Terrarium

Hi Marvin...

Hmm... may i ask what type of terrarium are you planning to build? a HL terrarium or a LL terrarium? because there are big differences between them.
I think David have an manual on building a terrarium around here somewhere... try asking him ^^ wish you luck ^^

Regards
Jonathan

Aliamyz 26th October 2008 01:24 PM

I was about to start a thread too.How to build an HL terrarium?
Will try growing some small,rare HL species.

First, build the terrarium.Help please!

David 26th October 2008 01:44 PM

Can you also mention if the terrarium is for Nepenthes or Drosera? If Nepenthes, the terrarium can be very humid with stagnant air. For Drosera, they seem to prefer more air circulation.

And yes, you can use an old aquarium and modify it into a terrarium.

Aliamyz 26th October 2008 02:01 PM

Can you share how to turn an old aquarium into an HL Nepenthes terrarium David?
I'm desperate to know bout it too!

marvin1997 26th October 2008 04:57 PM

what is HL and LL?

plantlover 26th October 2008 05:11 PM

Highlander and lowlander. Nepenthes can be divided into three groups. Lowlander, Intermediate and highlander.

edwardyeeks 26th October 2008 07:56 PM

Do you plan to grow large sized nepenthes? Or what CP? An old aquarium is good, but depends what CPs you plan to grow.:smile:

Cheers

Aliamyz 26th October 2008 09:07 PM

As far on my research,HL nepenthes can be grown in an old aquarium with only one easy and cheap thing.That's Ultrasonic fogger.
It's controls humidity, temperature and the nice fog which will create a natural look.
I'm planning on growing a Rajah in 3 feet aquarium but since the plant will get so big, i'm thinking of what should i do next if the plants grow bigger.
I know this is not a matter that you should be concern about now since Rajah grows very slow.

Any idea?

Jonathan 27th October 2008 09:57 AM

HI guys...

I guess it's actually rather hard to grow highland nep's in terrarium because they need cool day and consider cold night "missive temperature drop" temperature which is not easy to achieve in our climate and it is not a simple setup... accept you are ready to run your ac everynight or 24/7... anyway this is just my opinion... "height cost set up"

A lowland neps terrarium is easier to achieve and it's good for a test setup before you wanna try highland setup...

this is just my 2 cent and i'm not familliar in terrarium myself...
Wishing you all the best and good luck...

Regards
Jonathan