Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Tap water and soap detergents (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3444)

kizer 5th December 2009 04:43 PM

Tap water and soap detergents

Hi, I have a questions regarding drosera plants. I read in a web that tap water and soap detergents can kill this plant. Is this true or false? This is the first time I have heard of this also.

plantlover 5th December 2009 06:03 PM

Re: Tap water and soap detergents

Soap will kill almost all carnivorous plants. Tap water depends on the amount of impurities in the water. Chlorine and minerals in the tap water will kill many carnivorous plants. Nepenthes are more tolerable of tap water but other CPs are not.

Vincent 5th December 2009 09:58 PM

your best bet is to stay with distilled water in the jug. Make sure its called distilled too

plantlover 5th December 2009 10:10 PM

I use filtered water to water my CPs.

caseyhoo 5th December 2009 11:08 PM

In Malaysia, we can use our tap water for almost all CP. So far, there is no problem at all...

Regarding soap detergents, may I know why ask so? You plan to water soap detergents to CP to ger ride of pest?

kizer 5th December 2009 11:19 PM

Thanks for the info:1thumbup:, regarding the detergents, its just for precaution in case someone in the house decides to wash the whole place with soap.

caseyhoo 5th December 2009 11:31 PM

To be safe, I think I ned to change my statement, some state water may be cannot use, as I know, water at Kelantan is yellowish.

So far, KL, Penang, Selangor no problem. Not sure about others state. But, so far, I never heard negetive input about that.

plantlover 6th December 2009 12:52 AM

Johor's tap water is OK too. But I still use filtered water.

rsivertsen 6th December 2009 02:53 AM

As far as detergents go, there are horticultural detergents that can be used to treat scale and mealy bug infestations, but it is recommended that these plants be rinsed off afterward with pure water (distilled or RO water).

There are a lot of problems with tap water, depending on your location, aside from the usual chlorine and even fluoride additives; which may NOT be removed by just household filtration systems. The usual dissolved mineral salts can be harmful to a lot of plants, not just CPs. My tap water has killed ordinary houseplants in about a year. During the cold winter months, I have used glass (Pyrex) lasagna trays by my heaters to add some humidity to the air, and within a few months, the edges become frosted with mineral deposits that are very difficult to scrub off!

One day, I left the house with the shower nozzle dripping a drop every few seconds, and by the time I got home that night, a blue-green streak on the white shower floor showed how much dissolved copper ions were in my tap water. Copper in almost any form is extremely toxic to plants, and is often used as an algaecide. If you water the plants with tap water, and let it dry out between watering, these things will accumulate in the pots until a toxic level is finally reached and the plants seem to suddenly drop dead for no apparent reason.

Since I started using Distilled water (or RO water), even the sensitive plants seem to be flourishing year after year, in the same pots.

- Rich