Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes ID Corner (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Lowland Plant ID - Possible gracilis? (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1665)

David 8th December 2008 11:32 PM

Lowland Plant ID - Possible gracilis?

4 Attachment(s)
Anybody knows what this is? I've come to a conclusion that it is the elongated form of gracilis. The pitchers look like gracilis but just more elongated and tube-like. Can this be N. gracilis var. elongata? This plant is a lowlander according to the owner.

The stems are cylindrical-triangular just like a typical gracilis. Leaves looks exactly like gracilis ie. slender and narrow. The leaf blade also grows out from the main stem.

Here's some pictures...

Attachment 817

Attachment 818

Attachment 819

Here's the stem and leaves... By the way, the guy at the background is Choong aka kltower.

Attachment 820

NepNut 9th December 2008 12:04 AM

Re: Lowland Plant ID - Possible gracilis?

Very elagant form, nice!! From your description for it's stem and leaves, sounded like a gracilis. Do you have a shot of it's leaves and stem?? Where is this place, with lots of neps, looks very interesting.

David 9th December 2008 10:08 AM

The last picture is the only picture I have of the stem and leaves. The pot is above the picture and the stem and leaves are growing downwards.

This is the shadehouse of an enthusiast in Cameron Highlands. It is near to Tanah Rata.

NepNut 9th December 2008 12:11 PM

Haha... silly me, I was looking at Choong and the background instead of the stem of that gracilis... :blush: paisey2...

arvin555 10th December 2008 12:45 AM

I have a Gracilis and yes it looks quite like the photo of the leaves and stem. Mine however is still quite small and the pitchers are cute (read small) but then again I do like them to actually stay small if I can make them do so.

TTFN
Arvin

Aliamyz 10th December 2008 09:46 AM

Don't you guys think it a too elongated for a gracilis?
I thought it suppose to be bulbous at the bottom.
It looks some kind a hybrid between gracilis and ramispina.

David 10th December 2008 09:55 AM

It cannot be a hybrid because the two species grow in very different elevation. N. ramispina is a highland and N. gracilis lowland. You can't find gracilis growing in the highlands. So far I've only seen a few mirabilis growing around intermediate-highland.

Dr. Charles Clarke's book, "Nepenthes of Sumatra and Peninsular Malaysia" did mention that there is a N. gracilis var elongata but so far I have not seen a plant or picture of this form.

Besides the pitchers, everything else about the stems and leaves seems to tell me this is a gracilis form. But I stand corrected.

kltower 10th December 2008 12:29 PM

David,

I have found gracilis and mirablis growing amongst sanguineas at Genting. At the spot where these three plants grow, I have found ramispina (but I don't think they are there anymore).

I have always wanted to find the hybrids of gracilis/mirablis with sanguineas and ramispina.

But the pitcher being only 2 inches tall is even smaller than highland gracilis which can be 3-5 inches tall.

Then again, like our host have said, lowland plants don't do too well in highlands. Maybe the plant is stunned in CH.

Choong

David 10th December 2008 12:41 PM

The owner did say he found this in lowland conditions. So defitnally not a cross between ramispina and gracilis.

NepNut 10th December 2008 02:12 PM

I have observed gracilis growing at elevation around 1000m ASL. Can consider that as intermediate? The upper pitchers for these gracilis is almost the the size as the upper for albos nearby.

I agree with David regarding this matter, it's definately an interesting form even it's just a gracilis.... wished I could have been there to take a closer look.... with a scissors :laugh::laugh: