Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   My N. Mirabilis var. echinostoma has a salty peristome! (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=2987)

Durban 8th September 2009 01:34 AM

My N. Mirabilis var. echinostoma has a salty peristome!

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I am well experienced when it comes to growing Nepenthes, and i have not seen anything like this before. My N. mirablis var. echinostoma produces a thick salty discharge from the peristome. I noticed this and tasted it, expecting nectar, but it didn`t taste sweet at all, instead it was distinctly salty. The plant grows and pitchers very well, producing a pitcher on every leaf. I don`t ever fertilise and the plants get RO water with a TDS of 0, so it can`t be any type of chemical or mineral. I removed the salty "nectar" and it returned within a few days.

I have not heard of Nepenthes producing this type of salty discharge, i wonder what it would be used to attract? I have attached an average snapshot to show the health of the lower pitchers. Ideas anyone?

http://www.greenelectrichome.com/echinostoma.jpg

kentosaurs 8th September 2009 08:59 AM

Re: My N. Mirabilis var. echinostoma has a salty peristome!

Hi...I have it too....I've tasted its nectar on the peristrome and it tasted sweet...There was so much sugar deposit till you can see small white stuff on the peristrome..

David 8th September 2009 10:25 AM

Hi Durban,

Wow! I think you're the first South Africa member on the forum. Welcome, welcome!

Can't find the salty discharge. Is it on the peristome itself. Does this happen to all the pitchers?

paphioboy 8th September 2009 12:09 PM

Hi and welcome to PP.. :) Sorry, can't help you with the problem but that's a very nice mirabilis var. echinostoma..

Durban 8th September 2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 20303)
Hi Durban,

Wow! I think you're the first South Africa member on the forum. Welcome, welcome!

Can't find the salty discharge. Is it on the peristome itself. Does this happen to all the pitchers?

Hello, yes, there do not seem to be many South Africans on the forum, thanks. Yes, the discharge is on the peristome itself, not the lid. So far every pitcher produced has the salty "nectar". The plant is still producing lower pitchers, so i don`t know if this is specific to them or not.

Durban 8th September 2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paphioboy (Post 20304)
Hi and welcome to PP.. :) Sorry, can't help you with the problem but that's a very nice mirabilis var. echinostoma..

Thanks! I have noticed that this plant has a tendency to be a fussy pitcher-producer, but for me it produces pitchers quicker than any of my other plants, even Rafflesiana. From pitcher bud to lid opening it takes only 2 weeks, probably due to the thin-walled nature of it`s traps.

David 8th September 2009 05:09 PM

Can you share the conditions where your plant grows? To me this is a very fussy plant. Great that your plant is doing so well.

NepNut 8th September 2009 05:22 PM

Hi Durban,
Very interesting nep you have there!! Usually pitchers will secrete nectars to attract insects... But now since you discover your pitcher produce salty deposits, it's sort of make sense to me... *biggrin2*

Anyone remember seeing Wildlife documentary/when trekking in the forest on how insects (especially butterflies) congregate in large numbers in one spot "licking" mineral salts from the ground ?? I think some animals also behaved to same way... Might this N. mirabilis "found" another way to attract it's intented prey?? Hmm.... :confused: Very interesting indeed... :laugh:

BTW, welcome to PP and looking forward to see your pics on your collection, thanks.

TranMinh 8th September 2009 05:37 PM

Welcome to the fourm. How long have you grow it ? I can't wait for mine get that big.

Marigoldsfail21 10th September 2009 05:52 AM

Welcome to the forum Durban! :smile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpnut (Post 20316)
Hi Durban,
Very interesting nep you have there!! Usually pitchers will secrete nectars to attract insects... But now since you discover your pitcher produce salty deposits, it's sort of make sense to me... *biggrin2*

Anyone remember seeing Wildlife documentary/when trekking in the forest on how insects (especially butterflies) congregate in large numbers in one spot "licking" mineral salts from the ground ?? I think some animals also behaved to same way... Might this N. mirabilis "found" another way to attract it's intented prey?? Hmm.... :confused: Very interesting indeed... :laugh:

BTW, welcome to PP and looking forward to see your pics on your collection, thanks.

Cpnut,

That does make sense, and plus, the plant would just be getting rid of extra salts rather than waste energy making nectar with sugars.