Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is this coarse clay? (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1764)

edwardyeeks 1st January 2009 11:11 PM

Re: Is this coarse clay?

Now here is a question. I mixed some course clay that was soaked with water with perlite. Then I put it in a pot and poured some water over it. I noticed that the water took time to drain. Actually, it took a longer time to drain than sphagnum moss. Is this common?

Cheers

kentosaurs 1st January 2009 11:20 PM

Well i guess clay is a little more compact then LFS....

Ken

Robert 2nd January 2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardyeeks (Post 11000)
Now here is a question. I mixed some course clay that was soaked with water with perlite. Then I put it in a pot and poured some water over it. I noticed that the water took time to drain. Actually, it took a longer time to drain than sphagnum moss. Is this common?

Cheers

COARSE clay (not course ) are sediments deposited on ground surfaces after a heavy downpour. The fine soluble parts are wash off by rain water. They came in different sizes and the smaller pieces are chosen (5mm to 10 mm) for growing neps. Bigger pieces take up more space and more suitable for bigger pot. They are porous and holds water, therefore a good substitute for perlite.

Use 100% coarse clay. The perlite you mixed with are displacing the air spaces thus discourage water to drain off freely. Maybe the clay you are using are not coarse but consisted of fine clay. clay has to be rinse off fine particles before potting up with plant.

edwardyeeks 2nd January 2009 05:09 PM

Well, when I wash the coarse clay, I squish it into a muddy like substance. I just found out the problem. Since the coarse clay is muddy, it clogs up the drainage hole of the pot. So now, I am going to let it dry up, then break the coarse clay into small pieces, not fine pieces. Is this alright?

Oh yeah, coarse clay also can be found at other places than construction sites. I found coarse clay at my condo. The clay is near areas which are hill like and where stunted growth occurs.

Cheers

edwardyeeks 2nd January 2009 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://forum.petpitcher.net/attachme...1&d=1230887080
This is what it looks like now. Gonaa let it dry up.

Cheers

NepNut 2nd January 2009 09:49 PM

I don't think this kind of muddy clay will be suitable for nepenthes. I think what Robert and others meant for "coarse clay" is actually harden mineralized clay or sedimentary clay, like those red brick type clay when it's harden.

What you got is probably dried up "crushed" muddy clay which will turn muddy when it's wet. I think it's proabably easier for you just to go get burnt soil/clay from nursery for RM2 per bag. :smile:

paphioboy 2nd January 2009 10:19 PM

Edward, I agree with cpnut.. That clay doesn't look suitable for neps.. It looks like mud.. A better alternative would be to break/pulverize the orangey red coloured clay bricks so that you will get granular pieces which will not become waterlogged.. :) Many orchid growers use the same method to get the broken bricks, which is a good medium..

poweramps 2nd January 2009 10:57 PM

That is basically clay. Coarse or fine, when you mix it with water and stir it, it will become 'plastic' and go muddy. Whilst in nature a lot of neps grow on them, we can never replicate the (hydraulics of) drainage that is offered by, say a clayey hillside. Hence, clay becomes a difficult potting media to use due to its water retention and low aeration characteristics. Try using burnt clay - partial firing prevents them from sticking excessively to each other.

edwardyeeks 2nd January 2009 11:39 PM

When I first colllected it, it was hard. Just like coarse clay. But I broke it into pieces with all my strength, so stupid me. I wil let it dry up. It originally wasn't that muddy. Just that I broke it and mushed it together.

Cheers

Amelie.Poulain 3rd January 2009 03:31 PM

Edward, you better throw it out, even though if it's dried, it won't be the same chunky texture like before + it will break up upon contact with water!

Go and get new fresh one already + don't crush it with all your 'might' again :Þ