Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Drosera (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Leaf cutting of Drosera binata (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=4285)

Hase 17th July 2010 01:58 AM

Leaf cutting of Drosera binata

Hey guys! How do I do leaf cuttings of D. binata? I want to do some!

Hase

caseyhoo 17th July 2010 11:44 PM

Re: Leaf cutting of Drosera binata

Cut the old leaf from mother plant. Only binata leaf that have dew portion will produce plantlet. So, laying flat that part on top of spagnum moss. Cover the pot with transparent plastic. Put it at bright place. Once got plantlet, open the cover stage by stage and give them more sunlight stage by stage as well...

All the best, ya!!! D. binata leaf cutting propagation is easy

arvin555 18th July 2010 12:16 AM

You can also try it on flower stalks, usually we don't get seeds from flowers of Binata, so sometimes I just cut the flower stalk and try to do leaf cutting style, yes I get plantlets from flower stalks too.

TTFN
Arvin

caseyhoo 18th July 2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arvin555 (Post 30901)
You can also try it on flower stalks, usually we don't get seeds from flowers of Binata, so sometimes I just cut the flower stalk and try to do leaf cutting style, yes I get plantlets from flower stalks too.

TTFN
Arvin

I never try flower stalk cutting. I may want to try that, since binata that I got always flower and I just cut and throw away those stalk.

Laying flat on top of media as well? Can you explain more? :shy: Thanx

arvin555 18th July 2010 10:30 PM

Yup same as leaf cuttings, I really have not studied this too much, but I usually cut them in 2 to 3 inch long pieces and treat them like leaf cuttings. I usually try to bury the ends at the least.

TTFN
Arvin

caseyhoo 19th July 2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arvin555 (Post 30922)
Yup same as leaf cuttings, I really have not studied this too much, but I usually cut them in 2 to 3 inch long pieces and treat them like leaf cuttings. I usually try to bury the ends at the least.

TTFN
Arvin

will do so for my binata flower stalk

Thanx ya!!! :1thumbup:

Hase 20th July 2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseyhoo (Post 30898)
Cut the old leaf from mother plant. Only binata leaf that have dew portion will produce plantlet. So, laying flat that part on top of spagnum moss. Cover the pot with transparent plastic. Put it at bright place. Once got plantlet, open the cover stage by stage and give them more sunlight stage by stage as well...

All the best, ya!!! D. binata leaf cutting propagation is easy

Thanks man, I'll try it as soon as I can! And I did this with D. spatulata I think it's gonna work! If it works, it's going to be my first sucessful leaf cutting!

Hase 20th July 2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arvin555 (Post 30901)

TTFN
Arvin

Is it easy?

allenphoon 21st July 2010 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hase (Post 30987)
Is it easy?

Mostly depends, i have try the propagating the padaroxa that my dog cruely divide it into two, only 10/20 success, but in d.intermedia, i was managed to get 19/20 through leaf division, some say it is easy, some say it is very hard, so my advice to you is to try by yourself, then you will know the result, btw, i manage to propagate d.intermedia flower stalk successfully, still did not have d.binata in my collection yet, can't help you...*biggrin2*

caseyhoo 21st July 2010 10:43 AM

Arvin, plantlet will grow from 2 end of the cutting? or in between?