Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Pest Problems (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3462)

jixxxs 8th December 2009 10:07 PM

Pest Problems

Am i the only one with this problem or have others faced the same too.

Of late my neps have been 'attacked' by pest. By pest i am referring to squirrels and birds. Squirrels for sure as i caught the lil fella in the act. Manage to catch that fella with a rat trap and relocate it at a park but looks like his buddy is back to terrorize my neps.:spinning:

Had pitchers eaten up and destroyed and even plants dug out from their pots.:sad:

Only have this problem with my smaller neps that are on a rack that is beside the fence and bout 2 feet off the ground. Just finish building a "cage" for the neps but was wondering if any of you out there have a better solution to this.

sooxiwei 10th December 2009 06:38 PM

Re: Pest Problems

same here, it goes worst if you feed your nep with bugs like cricket

jixxxs 10th December 2009 08:53 PM

So what was your solution to it...? Was yours squirrels or birds..?
Have not fed my neps any insects other than the ants that fall in the pitchers naturally.

Funny that this topic does not draw much interest.. tot more ppl would have the same problem.

sooxiwei 10th December 2009 10:11 PM

well, mine is squirrel, I posted a same topic before about 2 months ago, totally no replied, my solution-do nothing, don't feed the pitcher anything and be around the garden if I'm free, the rainy season did help me a lot since it some keep those squirrel away, at least temporarily, I was told that if you feed those squirrel with things like left over or extra fruits, they will not disturb your nep, but don't really think it works, because my neighbour just opposite my house has a mango trees around with fruits, it is not hurt at all considering that it is food source for these little critters...

caseyhoo 10th December 2009 11:26 PM

May be you can use rat trap to catch them.

At my garden, at night, is rat kingdom. So, setup a trap, so far, only catch 2. I give up, just use poison... Now, they still have... But, population is less. BTW, they bite my rafflesia lower pitcher!!!!! Sad...

jixxxs 11th December 2009 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseyhoo (Post 23833)
May be you can use rat trap to catch them....

Thats what i said i did ... if you read my first thread. Caught another one today... and one yesterday.. but saw another one running around later today.
Its like a whole army of them.....

Decided to take action as they chewed up more than 6 pitchers from various plants and dug up 2 plants from their pots... not sure if those 2 plants will make it as i only discovered it when i got back from work in the evening.

I was hoping the more experienced ppl would be able to shed some light since i have only taken more interest into neps this year.

caseyhoo 11th December 2009 12:29 AM

You can try glue, but, that will defanately will kill it. Because they unable get ride from the glue, unless, you "botakkan" them

kevyn chan 11th December 2009 12:32 PM

for me touch wood that i do not faced the squirrels and rats problems cos i have my cats near my little garden.....however i have snails problem attacking my orchids and hope that they dont change their taste bud to cps. the other problem that i am facing monkeys and monitor lizards.....they will climb and ran on my shed and knock off a pot or two and broke a few flower stems and shoots. the monkeys will drop 'mangos' plucked from nearby trees and land on the pots of plants that located below the mango tree branches or they simply roll them off the roof's rain gutter. monitor lizards will search for food and crawl in between the pots and their pot belly knock off pots from the shelves. therefore if you cannot deter them from terrorizing your garden and plants, 'cage' your collection as what jixxxs suggested. i did that to my sarrs since i cannot hang them under my "plants pergola" *biggrin2**biggrin2*

jixxxs 12th December 2009 04:54 PM

I guess caging them would be the best bet... but its kind of a shame to have to put suck beautiful plant in cage and you can't admire them clearly.

somehow they look better hanging free or sitting there freely growing without restriction.

kevyn chan 12th December 2009 06:08 PM

its your call then, either you have a beautiful plant sitting in a 'cage' or an easy but eyesore view of chewed, decapitated, smashed and dug out plants lol. :shy: