Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Introduction (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Hello CP friends! (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=962)

powersensor 24th July 2008 04:18 PM

Hello CP friends!

Hello CP friends,

I am new to CP plants. Just started to have interest in nepenthes. My first nepenthes was purchased by my dad from Cameron Highlands back in 2007. At that time I didn't really study the plant. I didn't even know the species. It didn't do very well last year and refuses to generate pitchers.
However, it is currently doing fine after moving to different location.
Recently I found out from my friend (who is also CP frenzy) that the nepenthes that I got was a hyrid called mixa (maxima x alata). But I am not sure the identification is accurate or not.

Anyway, since the CP madness started to kick in, I also got myself N.albomarginata. These are the only two types of nepenthes that I have. My nepenthes are now all outdoor hanging under the shade of rose apple tree.

I work for multi-national company and only have time in the evening or weekends for my plants.
Hope to make some CP friends and gain valuable info on how to grow neps successfully.

Cheers,
Kelvin Kee

caseyhoo 24th July 2008 05:49 PM

Re: Hello CP friends!

Hi there, welcome to petpitcher... Im new to nepenthes too... Hope you enjoy yours time in this forum...

Cheers...
KC

Tarence 24th July 2008 06:27 PM

welcome Kelvin.

David 24th July 2008 06:31 PM

Hi Kelvin,

Could you show us pictures of your 2 plants? would love to see it. Would be great if you could pull your CP crazy friend here too. :2thumbup: Wow! Two more from Penang including you.

Hope you enjoy yourself here and get drag deeper into this hobby.

powersensor 27th July 2008 12:07 PM

Below are my two plants.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o.../mixaplant.jpg
N.mixa. Please help correct the name if the identification is incorrect.

The next plant is N.albomarginata. http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...ensor/albo.jpg

My plants aren't that nice looking yet. Maybe because of the humidity. Day time can be as low as 55%RH and night can be as high as 85%RH. Any advice on how to increase the humidity?

In the past my mixa refuses to form pitcher when located at open space with 50% shade cloth.

shawnintland 27th July 2008 12:47 PM

Welcome to the forum Powersensor! Sounds like the CP's have hooked another one. You are free to join us in our "CP addict self-help/support group" here. We've all admitted to our addictions!

I think you're right on the 'mixta' but others here are much better at IDing than me. The N. albomarginata is a really nice red-pitchered form. I have a couple of them too. Mine seem to be really slow to respond positively and fairly quick to respond negatively to their location. Almost all neps, IMHO, resent being moved (unless they are unhappy in the first place) but my albo's seem to take months to show they are happy. I'm only guessing with my apporoach, but I have most my albo's pots sitting in water trays filled to their rims with tiny pebbles. The pots are pushed down into the pebbles so that the bottom 1/4" of the pot is in the water. So far they seem real happy. I think it best to make sure your mix is very 'open' with lots of perlite or volcanice pummice, etc mixed in so it doesn't get water logged. I have a another type of N. albomarginata that I keep in a couple 2" deep tables in which I layed capillary matting (Like aquarium filter material) down and keep filled with an inch of water, the plants sitting in pots on top of the mat suck up what they need. This (and the tray method) seem to help with my low humidity problems, which really adversly effect 'pitchering'. Anyway, good luck and now that you're addicted, its a good time to start looking for more nearby land!

powersensor 27th July 2008 10:52 PM

thanks shawnintland for the tips.

Aliamyz 28th July 2008 08:28 AM

Hai Powersensor!
Welcome to Petpitcher.we are one happy family here sharing our experiences in growing CP's.I think that's x mixta (maxima x northiana).To increase the humidity,please put your plants together with other plants so that the humidity will stay constant.Visit Fauzi's store if you want to buy more plants.
Link: www.dapat.net/4zeplant
Good luck!

bactrus 28th July 2008 11:27 AM

Welcome Friend. More Penang People already. Hehe... :2thumbup:

strath76 28th July 2008 12:10 PM

Welcome to teh forum Kelvin. I am sure your collection will grow even with limited time to tend to them. Cheers.