Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Burnt Soil / Earth (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=4494)

marvin1997 17th September 2010 12:41 PM

Burnt Soil / Earth

Hey guys:laugh: Wanna try burnt soil/earth since I'm buying new neps, wanna get some tips from teh pros to prevent myself from killing the new neps :smile:
So far I know:
1. Wash burnt soil before using or it may clog up the pot
2. The black thing in them are charchoal and may not cause any harm
3. They're usually brown and white in colour

Anything else to add?? And where do you guys buy them from?? Do you add any medium into them or just use it without adding anything?
Thanks in advance :1thumbup:

kentosaurs 17th September 2010 03:54 PM

Re: Burnt Soil / Earth

Hey Marvin...So far i;ve been using it and its not doing any harm to my plant...Nor can i say its helping..(even if it does i wouldn't know) You got it right when it comes to the colour...The reason i wash the soil is to get smaller and finer pieces out and also to get the dust out...

I use it mainly as a additive to the soil....Now my media for neps is mainly LFS with burnt soil and perlite...I use pure burnt soil for my northiana though...

marvin1997 17th September 2010 04:59 PM

Okay :) Thanks for that.

paphioboy 18th September 2010 03:18 PM

You don't need to wash it, otherwise it will become MUD. You do have to sieve it.

paphioboy 18th September 2010 03:19 PM

Charcoal is harmless and is a good soil additive. White deposits may be bits of calcium. I use red burnt earth sold for desert rose/ 'fu kui hua'.

marvin1997 18th September 2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paphioboy (Post 32886)
You don't need to wash it, otherwise it will become MUD. You do have to sieve it.

Okay. It doesn't turn to mud while watering the plant right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by paphioboy (Post 32887)
Charcoal is harmless and is a good soil additive. White deposits may be bits of calcium. I use red burnt earth sold for desert rose/ 'fu kui hua'.

But they're still okay for neps right?:confused:

paphioboy 20th September 2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin1997 (Post 32894)
Okay. It doesn't turn to mud while watering the plant right?

But they're still okay for neps right?:confused:

No, it doesn't become mud if you sieve it. The fine particles will cause the medium to be muddy and soggy. Yes, its okay for neps as it doesn't contain much nutrients. Mirabilis and gracilis normally grow in similar soils in the wild in secondary forests...

marvin1997 20th September 2010 04:42 PM

Thanks for the info. I wanna try them with sphagnum moss and peat *biggrin2* After you sieve do you still have to add perlite etc into the medium to make it airy?

simpang1 20th September 2010 05:55 PM

i use the burned earth plus coconut husk for my N. northiana. works well, growing basal and start pitchering. :1thumbup:

paphioboy 20th September 2010 06:44 PM

I use straight burnt earth. No additions..