Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Introduction (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Hi from India (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=4422)

neper 25th August 2010 10:30 PM

Hi from India

Hello every one
I am from India,
I little bit new to Carnivorous Plants, I have some sundew seedlings,
looking forward to make new friends n learn from this forum.
thank you

allenphoon 25th August 2010 10:46 PM

Re: Hi from India

hello, nice to have you join this forum =D

kentosaurs 25th August 2010 11:13 PM

Welcome....Never really heard of many people from india growing CPs....Anyway welcome...

neper 25th August 2010 11:29 PM

Thanks alot friends,
I know there arent many carnivorous plants enthusiast from India,
but i think it is catching up, I have already found 3-4 people from India, who are interested in CPs, n 2 of them are growing vfts n sarcena too.

Well one of the biggest problem we are facing is getting a right growing media, we dont get sphagnum moss in India, n only peat which is available is coco peat which is high on salts or minerals. I am trying to find out some silica sand or qurtz to grow CPs in. I have already lost 6 sundew plants due to not having right growing media n i dont wana loose more, If possible friends can you please advice me what you people can think of growing cps in except sphagnum moss.
thanks alot

LJ_Tan 26th August 2010 01:06 AM

Welcome to PetPitcher.

NepNut 26th August 2010 04:18 PM

Hi neper,
Good to have you with us... hopefully we all can learn from each other.

About coco peat, I have used those coco peat in brick form that was packed with clear plastic. I'm sure it's from India because I got it from my Indian neighbour which he imported it. I haven't encounter any problem using it on nepenthes (never try it on other CPs though).

If you can find coco chips, it's also a good media to be use for nepenthes.

Hope this help.

neper 26th August 2010 04:25 PM

Hi,
even i am using cocopeat as of now in which i am growing 1 vft,
well it is doing fine, but i know it will start giving problem soon,
i have tds meter n it is showing 200ppm which i dont think is good for vfts ,

it may work out for nepenthes i think because they can survive in this much of mineral, I am also having one nep, which i have planted in mixture of irish peat moss: vermiculite : perlite(it is manufactured by some company at our place)
n it is showing 100ppm n nepenthes is doing fine.

But last month i lost almost 6-8 sundew because of so much salt in the media,
people sayd that to grow vft n sundew tds of media n water should be at or below 50ppm. So thats why i am trying to find something else to grow cps in.
thanks

delphiguy 26th August 2010 04:43 PM

I am using coco peat on most of my CP's and I have to say that everything is doing quite well with it,
except for the VFT which I dont attribute to the cocopeat but to my neglect,

Anyways Im growing Drosera, Sarracenia and Nepenthes in coco peat but you have to repot once
the media has broken. Maybe you should wash/soak your cocopeat first before use. How do you grow
your Sundews and which Sundews are you growing? are you using straight coco peat or are you mixing it
with other media like perlite or charcoal etc?

Oh and a warm welcome.

neper 26th August 2010 04:55 PM

I am using coco peat on most of my CP's and I have to say that everything is doing quite well with it,

Anyways Im growing Drosera, Sarracenia and Nepenthes in coco peat but you have to repot once
the media has broken. Maybe you should wash/soak your cocopeat first before use. How do you grow
your Sundews and which Sundews are you growing? are you using straight coco peat or are you mixing it

Oh and a warm welcome

Thank you,
well i soaked coco peat 10 times before using it n still it is having 200ppm tds.
right now the seedlings which i have is either cape sundew or spathulata well i think it is spathulata only (while sowing i mixed the seeds n it was lil bit hard to know what it is), right now the seedlings are in the irish peat mix,
they are doing fine, but last month when i used same mixture for plants thye died in a week. It could be possible that sunburn can be the other reason but people are advising me to first get the correct growing media n then grow sundew. Well the mixture i am having is having perlite, but there is nothing extra added in cocopeat.

delphiguy 26th August 2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neper (Post 32109)

Oh and a warm welcome

Thank you,
well i soaked coco peat 10 times before using it n still it is having 200ppm tds.
right now the seedlings which i have is either cape sundew or spathulata well i think it is spathulata only (while sowing i mixed the seeds n it was lil bit hard to know what it is), right now the seedlings are in the irish peat mix,
they are doing fine, but last month when i used same mixture for plants thye died in a week. It could be possible that sunburn can be the other reason but people are advising me to first get the correct growing media n then grow sundew. Well the mixture i am having is having perlite, but there is nothing extra added in cocopeat.

I grew spathulata before (until the birds ate them), and they are doing quite well in straight coco peat. What kind of water are you using?