Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   what's happening to my pilosa?? (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=2318)

plantlover 6th May 2009 08:35 PM

Re: what's happening to my pilosa??

Next time don't keep it too wet. You should have posted this earlier. Hope your plant survive.

nyala 6th May 2009 08:43 PM

Hi soonsuseong,

First, it's definitley N. chaniana.

Second, based on Lee's book, this species is often epiphytic. Like other epiphyte plant (ex. orchid), they like high humidity but good aeration too. So we (some who believe it) use orchid plastic pot that have many hole for ventilation and for media, we use full coconut chip.

Fyi, all my epiphyte neps grow with this condition.

But in lowland like my place, i suggest to add water tray to make high humidity.

funkychips 6th May 2009 10:49 PM

Aaron, do you grow your chaniana under direct sunlight? It's a very nice green pitcher!
soonsuseong, I think your plant just experienced a drastic shift of location from open sun to shaded. Your plant may have already suffered burns and then placed out of sunlight with wet conditions it probably turned into rot. Something similar happened to my reinwardtiana, which has been hardened to full sun already until a heat wave just scorched the leaves and the burnt tissue went black and soft. I don't know what's been causing this but just to share this with you. Btw the reinwardtiana didn't survive, as it's a smaller plant. Hope your plant can pull through.

plantlover 7th May 2009 09:52 AM

Ikeep mine in direct sunlight and rain. Hope your chaniana survives.

soonsuseong 7th May 2009 10:08 AM

thanks, everyone, for your advice. yes, i agree it is some form of rot, probably root rot. the sanguinea at the side also suffered from mushy leaves after all. the main stem has also turned black but so far, it has not gone mushy. i have repotted it sand + perlite + moss. i do not have high hopes for it but will leave it alone for now. from my limited experience, cuttings from highland plants dont seem to do so well here, so i will just take my chances leaving it alone.

i love this plant but find it hard to keep it alive. direct sun and rain? wish i can try that but am a bit scared to lose more plants. chaniana doesnt come cheap, and to me, very sensitive to environmental changes.

i am sure a lot of us have the same problem, plants growing well, then suddenly came a heatwave and some burnt leaves. we shift them to somewhere shady and water them too much, thinking it will compensate for the heat, and then the plant just rot. it is just that this chaniana (agree it is chaniana not pilosa) degenerated within 2 days. well, it probably has been rotting for a while, i guess.

soonsuseong 7th May 2009 10:10 AM

yeah, time to get pots with lots of holes. these pots that i am using, retains too much water.

NepNut 7th May 2009 10:09 PM

Just to share, I drilled extra holes on all my plastic pots for nep. I find it's easier to control the media from getting too dry than getting too wet especially when I'm growing all my plants outdoor during rainy season.

If a nep belong to a epiphytic species, I just drill more holes.... *biggrin2* and adjust the composition of the media accordingly.

Pot size also affect the natural rate of evaporation of water coz pot size is directly proportional to it's volume.

I feel all these factors are important points to successfully grow any nep species.

eboat 7th May 2009 11:58 PM

It's look too wet for the media,that make the fungus attack easily. I think your plant can survive if the fungus didn't grow into shoot and you should to cut brown leaf off and treat your plant with anti-fungal.

Regards,Oat