Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes Conservation (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=246)
-   -   Releasing nep (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3743)

sooxiwei 19th January 2010 09:24 PM

Releasing nep

Poaching or illegally collecting nep from the wild does cause an sp. to face potential risk of extinction, but to release some nep that are not originally from the known location is also not good since it could potentially caused a new hybrid in the wild...do you agree with this?

kentosaurs 19th January 2010 10:37 PM

Re: Releasing nep

yep :)

arvin555 19th January 2010 11:44 PM

Yup! Why release an alien species... release an endemic one so that you can help reintroduce the species :)

marvin1997 20th January 2010 03:21 PM

New hybrid not good?Competition??I dunno just commenting xD

delphiguy 20th January 2010 04:47 PM

releasing hybrids in the wild, especially those that are man made is a big
joke, at least for me. But releasing natural hybrids in their native habitat
is a good thing.

alienfx 23rd January 2010 09:56 PM

My own personal view regarding this matter is that its not a big issue.Neps are not territorial plants.They wont take over the whole jungle and kill all the insects etc.Even those weed growing like neps dont take over the jungle.No harm will be done.Releasing something new can add some flavour.:tongue:

cbkhoon 25th January 2010 02:25 PM

i think it is ok to release one species at a time at one location is good.. but not too many species at same place at once, else some "rojak" species would be seen few years later..:spinning:

Boris 3rd February 2010 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alienfx (Post 25685)
My own personal view regarding this matter is that its not a big issue.Neps are not territorial plants.They wont take over the whole jungle and kill all the insects etc.Even those weed growing like neps dont take over the jungle.No harm will be done.Releasing something new can add some flavour.:tongue:

... it might not take over the jungle but maybe destroy (overgrow ... or whatever) all native or even endemic neps because it can better adapt though it isn't from there. So ... this is a very dangerous game.

edit: after thinking a while of this I got some other ideas. Maybe you are from penang and have some neoguinensis growing from papua. They'll grow fine in ths climate. This is a male plant and some insects will spread the pollen on some albomarginatas. This cross might be very strong and all pure albos might be gone in a while. Just an example.

Marigoldsfail21 4th February 2010 03:39 AM

Only re-introduce plants grown from seed collected from the area. Even plant species native to the area shouldn't be re-introduced unless they were clones from the area, because it would disrupt the gene pool. (Imagine, rare forms of neps like black truncata could be lost this way) That's my opinion.

Robert 6th February 2010 09:39 PM

while studies have shown introduction of foreign plants into local habitat often resulted in wiping out part or whole local species. eg are mimosa pudica from Brazil, eucalyptus from Australia. These are hardy plants that adapt very well in many various cond.

Since neps are often found in heath forest, there are factors limiting their adaptation - Local weather pattern, soil conds, seeds viability and their flowering pattern. an eg Introducing northiana into swamp area will resulted into their demise.

Period of flowering pattern often ensure certain species to breed among themselves. while hybrid among neps are common there are often pockets within certain area that they are not found among the population.

success of hybrid again doesn't ensure their survival, being limited by their viability and seeds count. Female flowers or male pollens may be sterile. some neps have high seeds count per pod but attained low germination and vice versa.

Therefore, introducing a foreign neps or local neps into another local area will be limited by the factors mentioned. My 2¢s:laugh: