Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Drosera (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Drosera leaf cuttings propogation (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1886)

caseyhoo 15th January 2009 04:43 PM

Drosera leaf cuttings propogation

2 Attachment(s)
So far, I dont have much luck with leaf cuttings propogation, especially D. paradoxa.

Decided try my luck 1 more time. Please correct me if I did wrong. I pull D. paradoxa leaf from mother plant. And lay it flat as shown in below photo. Cover it. Put it in a bright place
Attachment 1065

I also try to propogation some drosera leaf using water method,
D. paradoxa leaf,
D. intermedia 'cuba',
D. spatulata leaf,
D. binata var extreme
Attachment 1066

Cindy 15th January 2009 06:36 PM

Re: Drosera leaf cuttings propogation

Casey,

You'll have much better results tearing one paradoxa plant into many larger clumps of leaves instead of pulling off individual ones.

caseyhoo 15th January 2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindy (Post 12041)
Casey,

You'll have much better results tearing one paradoxa plant into many larger clumps of leaves instead of pulling off individual ones.

What you means by "tearing one paradoxa plant into many larger clumps of leaves " and how do tear it? Please teach me!!! Thanx...

Because I dont have luck with leaf cutting. For D. dilatato-petiolaris, I just use knife and cut in the middle. And result is, I have 1 mother plant and 2 small plantlet... :smile: Actually, I didnt the same thing just now, pray that mother plant still survive!!!!:blush:

David 15th January 2009 06:49 PM

I think the media for the leaf cuttings needs to be wetter. If it is not and you are using s. moss, a lot of areas on the cuttings are not touching water or media. The cuttings may die after a while. I use sphagnum peat moss mix with sand, the media that I use for the adult plants. I keep the media very wet and I cover the container completely. Usually 95%-100% survival rate with new plantlets growing.

caseyhoo 15th January 2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 12043)
I think the media for the leaf cuttings needs to be wetter. If it is not and you are using s. moss, a lot of areas on the cuttings are not touching water or media. The cuttings may die after a while. I use sphagnum peat moss mix with sand, the media that I use for the adult plants. I keep the media very wet and I cover the container completely. Usually 95%-100% survival rate with new plantlets growing.

If that case, I will increase the water level for the pot. Looking forward for D. paradoxa forest...

David 16th January 2009 10:38 AM

I realised from my cuttings, they are more sucessful when part of the leaf stem are also covered with media and both ends of the leaf touches water especially the base of the leaf where the white part is.

David 16th January 2009 10:46 AM

I realised from my cuttings, they are more sucessful when part of the leaf stem are also covered with media and both ends of the leaf touches water especially the base of the leaf where the white part is.

caseyhoo 16th January 2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 12114)

Ic... thanx for the tip...

kentosaurs 16th January 2009 10:19 PM

Casey i don't really see the white part of your paradoxa........

Ken

caseyhoo 17th January 2009 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentosaurs (Post 12182)
Casey i don't really see the white part of your paradoxa........

Ken

Yes, there is white part of paradoxa. Photo didnt show it... Did you successfully propagate it from leaft cutting before?