Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Dionaea muscipula (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Dormancy (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=6637)

winterkid 10th February 2011 07:14 PM

Re: Dormancy

Hey kc. . I am samuel. .. .just call me sam. . . . . . . . . How do I do dry dormancy? I only know how to do fridge . . . . .

TS 12th February 2011 12:39 PM

Just leave it where it is and maintain the media just damp. You should remove the water tray so that the media won't be soaked in the water. The plant should looked very ugly at this time but be patient and don't do anything yet.
Change the growing media and do the repotting after 2 months. Leave the newly repotted plant in a bright spot (no direct sun), move it out for full sun after a week. The plant should be able to wake up from the dormancy.:laugh:

Harris Azariel 12th February 2011 01:31 PM

i never try dry dormancy,will try it soon if a vft of mine heading dormancy :)

winterkid 12th February 2011 09:40 PM

but i think that fridge is easier than dry............:laugh:
wont they rot with dry dormancy?

Harris Azariel 13th February 2011 01:04 AM

if your not careful with fridge,it'll die easily too :)

about rot,im not sure for dry but fridge very high chance.

winterkid 13th February 2011 05:00 PM

what should i look out for or BECAREFULL during fridge dormancy??????

and by the way..... my VFT seeds sprouted...... just a little bit of root comming out of the end of the seed.......*biggrin2* when should i transfer them to a pot:confused:

Harris Azariel 13th February 2011 08:28 PM

fridge dormant=dont keep it too wet or moist and dont drasticly put it in the fridge,gradually lower the temps around it.

about your VFT seed,lets wait for TS.i before try transfering to pot from water but all died few days later.but some had success.lets just wait for sifu TS :)

winterkid 13th February 2011 11:29 PM

oh ok........... TS sifu ...........faster come pls.........
i wanna ask when to transfer the vft seeds to a pot??????they have been sowing in water ...........i saw some roots comming out of the seeds....:confused:
i only have 5 seeds......... so i hope to at least get 3 or 4 or even all plantlets

TS 14th February 2011 11:28 AM

Aiyo..... please don't call me sifu lah.... I believe we are all still learning from each other, so we just help each other:laugh:
You may transfer them to growing media in a week time. I used 2 peat : 1 perlite as media. Please make sure the roots are in the peat and after transfer, drop a few drops of water to the plantlet gently to make sure roots are properly covered by peat. Place it in bright shade. Always moniter the water level in the tray and make sure the media around the plantlet is always damp.

winterkid 14th February 2011 03:12 PM

And do I need to put a thin layer of peat on top and some LFS In the bottom?lfs is to hold more moisture.