Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Projects (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   My 1st project (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=12382)

zulteh279 20th May 2011 09:43 PM

My 1st project

4 Attachment(s)
What do u get when u put together
a Fridge
Attachment 4703
a Thermometer
Attachment 4704
a Light
Attachment 4706
and a Timer for the light
Attachment 4705

edwardyeeks 20th May 2011 10:32 PM

Re: My 1st project

An awesome highland chamber for nepenthes and heliamphoras! Correct? *biggrin2*

Used to think of doing this two years back, but sadly no resources....is the humidity high in the fridge?

kevyn chan 21st May 2011 02:16 PM

get a thermo-hygrometer as well (from www.exoreptiles.com.my )..want to know bout the humidity level too...

can place some soft drinks on the fridge door pockets for neps kaki when visiting your place.. hahahahha:1thumbup:

zulteh279 21st May 2011 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well,i did put another thermo-hygrometer inside the fridge...
Attachment 4707
but the RH is quit low....will do something about that after work today

kevyn chan 21st May 2011 04:20 PM

oh...that is a nice analog meter. it is definite that the rH is low in a fridge. the only time we sees water droplets is when we opens the door and condensation occurs....

edwardyeeks 21st May 2011 05:13 PM

Heh, I like the idea of the can drink in the fridge :tongue: good luck with the project! What CPs you intend to grow?

zulteh279 21st May 2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardyeeks (Post 48665)
An awesome highland chamber for nepenthes and heliamphoras! Correct? *biggrin2*

Used to think of doing this two years back, but sadly no resources....is the humidity high in the fridge?

Hehehe...u r right....
got the fridge for only RM60,for the light+thermo+hygro+timer is about +- RM100

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevyn chan (Post 48690)
get a thermo-hygrometer as well (from www.exoreptiles.com.my )..want to know bout the humidity level too...

can place some soft drinks on the fridge door pockets for neps kaki when visiting your place.. hahahahha:1thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevyn chan (Post 48695)
oh...that is a nice analog meter. it is definite that the rH is low in a fridge. the only time we sees water droplets is when we opens the door and condensation occurs....

I got my pet tarantula from there!,bought 3 of Costa Rica Zibra T....
I get the thermo-hygrometer from Lelong...

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardyeeks (Post 48696)
Heh, I like the idea of the can drink in the fridge :tongue: good luck with the project! What CPs you intend to grow?

Yup!i like that idea to....and maybe we can have a BBQ while doing that*biggrin2*hehehe....call it a Petpitcher Annual Dinner...."what a good idea though'

BTW,what is the ideal range of humidity for HL neps?

zulteh279 21st May 2011 11:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
for now i don't have any HL neps yet....but i'm growing some plants in it....try and guess
Attachment 4708
Attachment 4709
Attachment 4710

kevyn chan 21st May 2011 11:34 PM

haha....thinking to have my first tarantula.....what do you suggest? slings or big female? just came back 2 days ago with some 'exotic pets'.....*biggrin2*

edwardyeeks 22nd May 2011 12:46 AM

H/L neps like daytime humidity of 70-80% and night time humidity of 100% (saturation). They grow best in these conditions. Are those some cute little VFTs I see? :tongue:

Hopefully you can grow a villosa in there.

Harris Azariel 22nd May 2011 01:42 PM

nice project!
Try grow some helis in there :)

How do you get a fridge for that low price?

Harris

zulteh279 22nd May 2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevyn chan (Post 48719)
haha....thinking to have my first tarantula.....what do you suggest? slings or big female? just came back 2 days ago with some 'exotic pets'.....*biggrin2*

What 'exotic pets' did u get 2 days ago?....
well,i'm still a newbie in tarantula,this is my 2nd try.For the 1st time,i tried with Costa Rica Zebra sling,only manage to keep it for 3month.cost me Rm45 :crying:...
Now my 2nd try,still the same T sp. and sling.But i bought 3 slings from exoreptiles for only RM25 each.Still having it for about a year already.In my own oppinion,i will suggest to try from slings and a beginner sp. because u can learn from experience how the T grow from sling to adult.
I'll post my T later in another section....

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardyeeks (Post 48724)
H/L neps like daytime humidity of 70-80% and night time humidity of 100% (saturation). They grow best in these conditions. Are those some cute little VFTs I see? :tongue:

Hopefully you can grow a villosa in there.

I notice that my fridge humidity is below 50% on daytime(lights on) and around 75% on nighttime(lights off).Should i install a humidifier/fogger inside my fridge to increase the humidity?

Nope,those are not VFTs....i'll give a hint,look at the pots plant label...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harris Azariel (Post 48747)
nice project!
Try grow some helis in there :)

How do you get a fridge for that low price?

Harris

I'll grow not only helis,but also some ceps,N.raja,N.lowii,N.aristolochioides,etc....if i have the buget to get all those plants:tongue:.....
I get the fridge from Mudah....just need to search everyday to find one that fit ur budget and know how to bargain from the seller....

zulteh279 22nd May 2011 03:14 PM

oh...forgot to mention,
the temperature range is around +- 15'C daytime and 19'C nighttime.
lights timer set to on for 11 hours from 6pm to 5am.

Harris Azariel 23rd May 2011 06:05 PM

one tip on increasing the humidity,have a tray of water in the fridge with some pebbles in the tray.

From my observation,the humidity increases when i put in my mini styrofoam box greenhouse.

But mine isnt subjected to cold temp so i wont know how the humidity will be when face with cold temp.so u should try it :)

Harris

zulteh279 26th May 2011 10:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harris Azariel (Post 48807)
one tip on increasing the humidity,have a tray of water in the fridge with some pebbles in the tray.

From my observation,the humidity increases when i put in my mini styrofoam box greenhouse.

But mine isnt subjected to cold temp so i wont know how the humidity will be when face with cold temp.so u should try it :)

Harris

Thanks for the tip Harris....will try that method.

My project update....
Attachment 4730

Attachment 4731

Attachment 4732

Attachment 4733

paphioboy 27th May 2011 10:15 PM

What plants are those?? Look pretty cool...

zulteh279 28th May 2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paphioboy (Post 49087)
What plants are those?? Look pretty cool...

Tulipa 'Fosteriana Candela'
Narcissus double flowering 'Golden Ducat'
Muscari latifolium
Scilla siberica
Crocus vernus 'Yellow'
Galanthus sp.

paphioboy 28th May 2011 08:09 PM

Annual flowering bulbs? Cool... I didn't know there was anybody growing these in Malaysia.. Where did you get the bulbs from?

zulteh279 30th May 2011 11:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by paphioboy (Post 49187)
Annual flowering bulbs? Cool... I didn't know there was anybody growing these in Malaysia.. Where did you get the bulbs from?

yup,that's right....*biggrin2*
i myself didn't know if there is anybody planting this plants in Malaysia....
other then the 'Rumah 4 musim' at Taman Pertanian Bukit Cerakah Shah Alam...
My sister bought the bulbs for me from Ireland....
The box...
Attachment 4734

this is my current update on the plants..
my grape hyacinthshas started to bloom...
Attachment 4735

zulteh279 30th May 2011 11:23 PM

BTW,need advise from the expert out there that grow this Annual flowering bulbs....
how should i fertilize the plants?

kevyn chan 31st May 2011 11:27 PM

great to know these facts!!:1thumbup: now i know what to ask for souvenirs when friends and relatives visit European countries!!*biggrin2*

zulteh279 24th September 2011 12:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Ops....i have not been updating this thread....:tongue:

anyway,my 1st project FAIL .....
might be due to several reason:
1) i keep the bulb without sowing it for to long in the fridge till it get fungus.
2) the humidity is low even with water tray.
3) the temperature is to low....

tulip bulb with fungus....
Attachment 4985
all the other plants fail to grow properly....
Attachment 4986
Attachment 4987

allenphoon 24th September 2011 09:00 AM

i have a led lamp that might be able to fix ur problem, since i was thinking to sell it already(no more space even for indoor), PM me if you interested or you can search for internet
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunshine-Sys...item255ef66e93
i only have one extra, selling it for Rm450(including shipping cost), let me know if you interested

paphioboy 26th September 2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulteh279 (Post 58419)
anyway,my 1st project FAIL .....
might be due to several reason:
1) i keep the bulb without sowing it for to long in the fridge till it get fungus.
2) the humidity is low even with water tray.
3) the temperature is to low....

Your first reason I think is unlikely to be cause of the plants not growing. The bulbs just emerged from dormancy and have not grown their new roots yet, so it should not matter if they are not planted in soil. I think the reason your bulbs failed to grow is that the humidity is too high, not too low. Bulbs can be kept cold (not below zero), but must be dry during dormancy. I do not know anybody who plants bulbs using the water tray method. the combination of low temperature and high humidity causes the fungus (from what I see appears to be common blue-green mould Penicillium) to grow..

paphioboy 26th September 2011 07:35 PM

For more info on growing annuals in tropical countries, I suggest this forum:

www.greenculturesg.com/forum

zulteh279 26th September 2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paphioboy (Post 58557)
Your first reason I think is unlikely to be cause of the plants not growing. The bulbs just emerged from dormancy and have not grown their new roots yet, so it should not matter if they are not planted in soil. I think the reason your bulbs failed to grow is that the humidity is too high, not too low. Bulbs can be kept cold (not below zero), but must be dry during dormancy. I do not know anybody who plants bulbs using the water tray method. the combination of low temperature and high humidity causes the fungus (from what I see appears to be common blue-green mould Penicillium) to grow..

not sure bout that,i made that reason base on the suggested sowing month for the bulbs on its packaging.so from my opinion,the bulbs should have been growing normally if i planted the bulbs on time,but that's not the case.I planted the bulbs 5-6 month late from the suggested month.And even i store the bulbs in the fridge without soil,the bulbs did grow their leaf shoot.the fungus grow during storage and i treated all the bulbs with fungicide before sowing.
I think u got the wrong idea about the water tray...i did not place the pot directly into the water tray,but what i do is to place a few plastic container fill with water into the fridge to help increase the humudity level.but my hygrometer still give me the same reading.low humidity.

just my opinion:shy:

zulteh279 26th September 2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paphioboy (Post 58559)
For more info on growing annuals in tropical countries, I suggest this forum:

www.greenculturesg.com/forum

:1thumbup:
thanks for the suggestion

paphioboy 27th September 2011 04:38 PM

Bear in mind that we are in a tropical country. The instructions on the packaging probably applies to temperate (seasonal) climates where the plants are native to. Most people grow bulbs ourdoors. Conditions in outdoor growing are very different from growing in an enclosed chamber.

zulteh279 27th September 2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paphioboy (Post 58613)
Bear in mind that we are in a tropical country. The instructions on the packaging probably applies to temperate (seasonal) climates where the plants are native to. Most people grow bulbs ourdoors. Conditions in outdoor growing are very different from growing in an enclosed chamber.

and that is way we call it a PROJECT.....to try an experiment and learn from trial&error....:1thumbup:

not to worry,my 2nd project on its way....still in its blueprint....

Marigoldsfail21 29th September 2011 05:52 AM

I'm a bit confused here, these look like perennial bulbs; are you planning to grow them only as annuals?

What type of fungicide did you use? I believe powdered fungicides are what's generally used, although I'm not much of a bulb grower.

Also, I have to agree with Paphioboy; You don't want the moisture/humidity too high at first.