Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Sarracenia (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How to sow sarra seeds? (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1126)

caseyhoo 5th September 2008 04:20 PM

How to sow sarra seeds?

May I know what is the best way to sow sarra seends? I just got some seeds from oversea...

Looking forward for any methods and comment is welcome...

So far, below is the 2 methods that I can found in this forum
1. Keep in fridge for 21 days, then sow them
2. Bleach them, then sow them...

thanx...

Khoas 5th September 2008 07:12 PM

Re: How to sow sarra seeds?

I leave my sarra seeds in the fridge for 6 weeks or more. Quite often the seeds don't germinate in the frist spring but germinate the following year, very annoying.

TS 5th September 2008 08:31 PM

Casey, get a transparent plastic container with cover, place some milled soaked wet spahgnum moss in, level the sphagnum moss, then sprinkle the seeds on top the sphagnum moss, cover the container tightly. Place the container in the fridge (not in the ice compartment) for two months. After two months, take out the container and place at a bright place but don't open the cover yet. You will see plantlets sprouted in a week or two depending on how fresh the seeds are. Then you may open the cover bit by bit (this should take a few days) to let the plantlets get use to the humidity outside. After a month or so, you may transplant them to normal growing media we use for sarracenia. Slowly introduce the plantlets to full sun.
Happy germinating! :2thumbup::1thumbup:

caseyhoo 6th September 2008 09:26 AM

ok... thanx...

I just know from donate that the seeds is put in fridge for 2mths already. So, I will sow them straightaway into media after I finish my breakfast (now, having breakfast in Steven's Corner and serve net).

Next time, can I put sarra seed into my fridge without media? Pot in fridge is suppose not allow lor... :crying: I havent ask HM yet... :blush:

Khoas 6th September 2008 09:40 AM

You can put your seeds in the fridge dry. Save space in the fridge, also reduce chances of fungal infection.

caseyhoo 6th September 2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoas (Post 3352)
You can put your seeds in the fridge dry. Save space in the fridge, also reduce chances of fungal infection.

Thanx.... Will do so next time...

May I know how long I suppose to put them in fridge? Read some forum said 21 days, some said 2 months... Any comment on this? Sorry for so many question:blush:

Aliamyz 6th September 2008 10:18 AM

Have to cover the seeds with sphagum moss or whay guys?

Boris 6th September 2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoas (Post 3352)

the stratication process includes also to keep the seeds moist. Only putting the seeds dry in the fridge doesn't do the job. The seeds should stay at least 6 weeks in the fridge. There is no need to cover the seeds. They need light for germination.

TS 8th September 2008 01:01 PM

Oops, I forgot to tell something, before I sow the seeds, I put the whole container (with wet sphagnum moss) to heat in the micro wave oven to kill what ever spores that may contained in the moss. After that, let the sphagnum moss to cool down before sow the seeds on it.
Yes, the seeds will be just sown on top of the moss, don't cover it with moss. They need light to germinate. Remember to place at bright place but no direct sun light.

Aliamyz 8th September 2008 09:20 PM

How long TS?