Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Dormance (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1638)

marvin1997 3rd December 2008 10:15 PM

Dormance

A thread all about CPs dormancy.
Can I ask does CPs go dormant every year or just once?
Can you put a CP in a polystyrene box(not sure spelling)with ice?
Is it the season now that CPs go dormant?I mean winter now?

arvin555 3rd December 2008 11:09 PM

Re: Dormance

Only Temperate CPs. Tropical CPs do not go dormant.
Technically they go dormant every year because imagine they live in bog swams in say the US that has winter every year :)
You could put ice, but then you'll have to contend with putting ice every day to be sure that the temp is kept constantly low.
It depends, if you got your plants from the US, then yes it is winter now, but if you got them from Australia then it is summer now.

Well these are at least what I know :)

TTFN
Arvin

edwardyeeks 3rd December 2008 11:11 PM

CPs that go dormant does it once every year. The CPs are VFT, sarracenia, droseras, cephalotus and a few others. Nepenthes is a CP that does not go dormant.

When a CP is dormant, you should provide it as little light as possible. This does not mean no light at all! Keeping it in a cooling temperature is also vital, about 16-20 C. You may put in a styrofoam box but make sure there are no 'windows' to allow light in.

CPs have no fixed time when they go into dormancy in tropical areas like us. At least once in a year, they must go dormant. However, this may be random, so be prepared for it. You may skip dormancy for young plants twice or thrice, but if you keep doing it, your CPs will die eventually. It will also lead to the shortening of your CP's life. Do not contribute to the plants demise by not allowing it to rest.

Cheers

plantlover 3rd December 2008 11:22 PM

Temperate plants like VFT, Sarra and some drosera will go dormant once a year. Cephalotus can survive without dormancy. During this period make sure the media is moist not wet. Put somewhere with light but not intense and direct. In our tropics, CPs may go dormant any time.

marvin1997 4th December 2008 12:54 PM

Can VFTs go dormant with Sarras together?

plantlover 4th December 2008 02:31 PM

Yes. But wait until they show signs of dormancy.

marvin1997 5th December 2008 07:39 PM

My VFT growing small traps,is that a sign?

edwardyeeks 5th December 2008 07:54 PM

How small? Half the size of the original size??

Cheers

marvin1997 6th December 2008 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes.See this pic. maybe you cant's see it 'cause it's too small
Attachment 807

marvin1997 6th December 2008 01:35 PM

The red circle one.A few of them like the one in the bottom-right.

plantlover 6th December 2008 02:25 PM

If the leaves are getting shorter and shorter, it may go into dormancy. Try closing a trap, if it closes slowly, maybe its going into dormancy. min is producing shorter leaves just like yours and closes slower than usual.

marvin1997 6th December 2008 04:45 PM

Another question.If I put my plants into the styrofoam box.How many ice cubes should I put in it?
And they go dormant for two months,right?How much light do they need?If they don't need light,do they need air?Because I think the box is sealed tightly.
Do they need it damp or wet?

edwardyeeks 6th December 2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin1997 (Post 9294)
Another question.If I put my plants into the styrofoam box.How many ice cubes should I put in it?
And they go dormant for two months,right?How much light do they need?If they don't need light,do they need air?Because I think the box is sealed tightly.
Do they need it damp or wet?

As long the temperature touches 20 C at least, then you do not need to put a lot of ice. Keep the soil barely damp and keep the plant humid. Light is still needed, but not a lot. Air circulation is very important to prevent fungus growth.:1thumbup:

Cheers

Khoas 6th December 2008 10:51 PM

Should mention that some of the Drosera namedly tuberous, pymgy and some South African species have a summer dormancy which is dry. Also S. oreophila has kind of late summer dormancy in the wild when things get dry.

marvin1997 10th December 2008 03:44 PM

SO,can it go dormance already?And sunlight up to er......... 1hour?

edwardyeeks 10th December 2008 07:22 PM

You don't need any sunlight for dormancy. Just some light, shady.

Cheers

alcran 11th December 2008 10:41 AM

You can also put the plant into a deep dormancy in the fridge and cut off all the leaves. This will make a cleaner looking plant.

marvin1997 13th December 2008 05:42 PM

Do they drop the leaves themselves?And the small trap are closing slowly but not the big ones.I thought they're growing slowly but there are three or four traps growing from the center.Maybe it's the fish food I gave it.

edwardyeeks 13th December 2008 07:05 PM

Then your VFT isn't going to dormancy. If it is still growing new traps, then it won't go to dormancy. The thing I have perceived about VFT during growing them for the past 4 months, is that everytime a new trap and leaf is formed, another will start to die. VFTs won't grow more than 15 leaves, if they do, then it is more than one plants. The leaves will just die off and droop to the soil while new ones take place of the dead leaves.

Cheers

kentosaurs 13th December 2008 07:28 PM

Hi..........Mine was making shorter and shorter leaves but after a while then it bounced back somehow....Anyways VFTs originate from the northen hemisphere which the winter is around OCT-DEC which is now so thats why you see a lot of CPs showing signs of dormancy....

Ken