Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Byblis (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Problem with Byblis germination (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=4394)

Hase 13th August 2010 09:25 AM

Problem with Byblis germination

Hey guys! I can't germinate Byblis, I give up... What can I do to germinate them?

delphiguy 13th August 2010 09:53 AM

Re: Problem with Byblis germination

How do you germinated yours? I put mine in moist coco peat and covered it. placed it
in an area where it could get lots of light but no heat otherwise the seeds may cook.
2weeks later, last night i saw something growing in there.

caseyhoo 13th August 2010 11:10 AM

For byblis seeds, you need to give it a bleach treatment in order to have high germination.

LJ_Tan 13th August 2010 02:43 PM

You needs to give a bleach treatment as caseyhoo said if not it may be zero germination.

caseyhoo 13th August 2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJ_Tan (Post 31778)
You needs to give a bleach treatment as caseyhoo said if not it may be zero germination.

Not 100% is zero. It is also depends on the "freshness" of the seeds as well. Last time, I got few plants out of hundreds seeds. :mad:

rhealk 13th August 2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hase (Post 31764)
Hey guys! I can't germinate Byblis, I give up... What can I do to germinate them?

I got my seed from a kind friend. Sowed half on a piece of wet paper towel and half on wet sphagnum moss. Bth kept inside transparent food container and closed with its transparent cover (100 humidity). I left it on the table inside my greenhouse and exposed to sunlight (I have one layer of 70% net and one layer of agriculture film as my greenhouse roof). Its bright and warm esp in afternoon.

One seed on wet tower germinated first after few days. And that's the only seed germinated on paper towel till today. Meanwhile one seed on the wet sphagnum moss germinated one week later and now few more follow suit.
And the greedy me secretly moved some of the seeds from wet paper towel to the wet sphagnum moss with the hope they will germinate soon!

arvin555 13th August 2010 11:50 PM

Not sure if I posted already what I did but hey I will post again.

Materials:
House hold bleach
Water
Glass container
Anti chlorine (for aquarium use)
favorite germinating mix and container

1. I use around 2 drops of bleach in around 10ml of water.
2. I use a glass to store the bleach solution in and then I sprinkle a few seeds on the surface of water, I don't put everything because if you mistake and overcook, you lose everything.
3. You steer the water a bit and you will see that there is a black "tail" on the seeds, that is good, after you see this black tail of leaching chemicals and you think it's time, put a few drops of antichlorine to stop the "cooking".

4. then you can either rinse a bit more with tap water or sow the seeds already.

You know you overcooked if the seeds turn white or transparent, the seeds are dead by then.

There is a Youtube video someone made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8asdfEAg9Gg

I find the video very informative, nothing beats photos and videos to explain :)

marvin1997 14th August 2010 04:56 PM

I don't think all Byblis has hard outer shell.. What is the species you're sowing? If it's Byblis liniflora you need to do the bleaching

arvin555 14th August 2010 11:18 PM

Marvin is right, sorry we should clarify that the Chlorine thing is mainly for Byblis Liniflora which is the only one that I have experience with, thanks to a good friend in petpitcher :)

Hase 15th August 2010 10:05 AM

Thanks guys! I noticed that one of them germinated! Oh, and it is Byblis liniflora!