Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Drosera (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Capensis seeds =) (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3445)

Vincent 5th December 2009 09:24 PM

Capensis seeds =)

I have so many cape sundew seeds, that i decided to try an experiment. i took and put the seeds in some milk jug and distilled water jug caps, made sure they were filled with distilled water every day at all times, and within 2 weeks, they began to make leaves! Now, there are quite a few that are establishing roots, and they sink to the bottom. It is by far the easiest method for sprouting cape sundews, and i didnt dry them either. After the flower made a seed capsule, i immediately harvested seeds and dispensed them in caps. None have been taken out of water. They are so tiny..i will make sure and take some pics here soon. Anyone want cape sundew seeds? I assure you, they are just like weeds! lol but seriously, if you are looking for quantity in your collection of sundews, i would deffinitely point to this one. =)

David 5th December 2009 09:37 PM

Re: Capensis seeds =)

Thanks for this tip Vincent. Interesting way. Perhaps I shall try this on my other Drosera seeds and see if the effects are as good.

A lot of us have been trying to grow cape sundews but in our climate they do not seem to grow well, at least for the majority of us here in Asia. They do not grow like weeds for us, sad to say. But, we should not give up. Thanks for the offer of the seeds. I hope members take it up and experiment more with this species in Asia. Could I have some as well? :)

Vincent 5th December 2009 09:53 PM

0.0 they dont grow well in asia....are u sure? that is really weird, as they are companion plants to my nepenthes. They like bright light, especially do well in artificial light or/and morning light like nepenthes. I always have there water trays filled about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up. I actually picked them up at a home depot and talked the price in half, because there whole stand of carnivorous plants werent even being taken care of, soil dried to a crisp. So i got out of there will the cp stand and started nursing them back to health. that boggles my mind, cape sundews aren't finicky at all, for me at least. Anyone who would like to try some out, please give me your mailing address, and i will give you around 100 seeds easily. I will not be running out anytime soon, flowering doesnt effect the plants growth really, it just makes 4-5 leaves, ploops out a flower stalk, and reapeats. I do not mind at all sending out these seeds for free, but if anyone has some nepenthes or sundew seeds i will double the amount of seed = 0

marvin1997 5th December 2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 23591)
Thanks for this tip Vincent. Interesting way. Perhaps I shall try this on my other Drosera seeds and see if the effects are as good.

A lot of us have been trying to grow cape sundews but in our climate they do not seem to grow well, at least for the majority of us here in Asia. They do not grow like weeds for us, sad to say. But, we should not give up. Thanks for the offer of the seeds. I hope members take it up and experiment more with this species in Asia. Could I have some as well? :)

Er but mine really,really grow well!Mine sending up a flower...I thought they should be easy?

Vincent 6th December 2009 05:11 PM

might depend who you got it from.

delphiguy 6th December 2009 06:07 PM

Hey Vincent, if you still have some capensis to spare i'd like to try some.

Vincent 7th December 2009 10:14 PM

enough to make 100 sundew muffins for everyone =)

Vincent 8th December 2009 10:45 AM

dont be shy everyone, still have tons of seeds to share ;)

Vincent 8th December 2009 12:57 PM

..well i had new pics to upload, but i guess all of u will just have to check my photo album on my page since they dont wanna show up

weeps 29th January 2010 05:22 PM

Hi, Vincent,
I am a newbie here and started to like CPs a month ago. I am so impressed exploring thru all this unique plant via forum.
I would like to try to start something, anymore seeds to share :) ?