Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Dionaea muscipula (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Dormancy (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=6637)

winterkid 6th February 2011 11:18 PM

Dormancy

3 Attachment(s)
i think my vft is going into dormancy..................
i found a new growth point on my vft..........
here are some pics. help me see if they are going into dormancy..

Attachment 4350

Attachment 4351

Attachment 4352

Harris Azariel 6th February 2011 11:39 PM

Re: Dormancy

is the growth slowing down?

lets wait for our expert like TS to answer :) his very pro at VFTs:1thumbup:

winterkid 6th February 2011 11:50 PM

the growth slowed down a little bit.............. but i can still see two new leaves forming from the rhizome............
but the new leaves that opened just now seen to have shorter leaves........
and just a few hours ago........when i came back from dinner i wanted to take pics but i noeiced one of the permature traps hanging from the leaf.....i touched it and it just fell off.:crying::sweating:
and they are stressed out due to overfeeding themself......(they caught 4 flys in 1 week).....
u think they are going to dormancy?

Harris Azariel 7th February 2011 01:09 AM

im not sure its goin to dormancy yet..

just wait for a few days to weeks and if the growth slows badly,start gradually putting it in shade and follow the guide i tell u to do dormancy :)

Thanks
Harris

caseyhoo 7th February 2011 07:08 AM

Base on the photo, the plant didnt seems showing dormancy sign yet.

Tarence 7th February 2011 09:27 AM

the irregular leaf shaped ( all leaves ) suggests that it could be attacked by some bugs etc.....try looking underneath for unusual markings or abnormal color.

it also doesn`t seem to be getting enough sunlite which could have caused its overall straggly look. what kinda sun is it getting ? do avoid intense a`noon sun tho. try sunning it slowly if it isn`t used to the sun.

TS 7th February 2011 10:48 AM

The plant seems to suffer from light starving, provide more sun to see if it is still the same. The 3rd picture is kind of scary, is that just shadow or something on the lower part of the leaf stems? It looked root rot to me but the 1st and 2nd picture seem fine :confused:.

Harris Azariel 7th February 2011 05:10 PM

okay,is the leaf soft?
if the leaf is soft,i think its root rot...or rhizome rot ..
i killed a few of mine with root rot since im giving it less sun and too much water.

and yes,from what time to what time does your VFT receive sunlight?

Harris

winterkid 7th February 2011 07:13 PM

Actully to tell you guys a truth............... MY VFT ARE GETTING FULL SUN 24/7..................they sit nest to my sarras............... i dont think there is any root rot...........but the leaves are getting abit small..........what is causing that? overfeeding?(they feed themself outside)

Harris Azariel 7th February 2011 08:25 PM

do u move your plants away when theres rain?

winterkid 7th February 2011 08:31 PM

nope.......i put them under a long pot..... so they dont get direct rain....(except for some drops)

Harris Azariel 7th February 2011 08:52 PM

so the long pot covers the VFT when it rains?
and after rain,u remove it?

do u leave the long pot over the VFT everynight or everytime it rains??

winterkid 7th February 2011 08:56 PM

i mostly move them under the pot when i think is about to rain.........
the pot covers the top of my vft .....but they still get full sun under the pot.....

winterkid 7th February 2011 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the pic................... u can see my vft near the long pot.

Harris Azariel 7th February 2011 09:09 PM

owh that tuscon pot.
but i still dont get it why your vft looks light starved.though u giving it fullsun...lets w8 for the experts again :)

winterkid 7th February 2011 09:26 PM

hope the EXPERTS come fast and tell me whats going on with my vft:sweating:

piscesilim 7th February 2011 09:57 PM

This is how's my VFT looks like when I grow it under 90% shade cloth. Your VFT looks just like this VFT. May I know how many hours your VFT receive DIRECT sunlight? Direct sunlight means sunlight without filtered by shade cloth or blocked by tall buildings or tree.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...m/DSCN8661.jpg

Harris Azariel 7th February 2011 10:55 PM

nice short teeth!
at first,it looks dentateish...lol

winterkid 7th February 2011 11:05 PM

Hey mr lim m vft gets about 10 hrs of direct sunlight.....do you think they might he stressed due to overfeeding themselves or root rot?? I think they are putting our green-yellowish lately. New'buds' have some red colour on them.....(see the 2nd pic)

piscesilim 7th February 2011 11:16 PM

Let's see how's your Sarracenia after 2-3 weeks time. If your Sarracenia become red. Then you may need to move your VFT to more shade area (4-5 hours direct sunlight)

winterkid 7th February 2011 11:26 PM

U think the sun is too hot? My sarra are growing redder pitchers. (From what I saw from the rhizome of the sarra)

TS 8th February 2011 11:44 AM

If there is sufficient of sunlight, no root rot, no bug attack, the plant might go under adaptation in the new growing condition and environment then. To me the plant looked fine, just unsure of what cause the darker colour on the lower part of the stem, if the stem/core if OK, then the plant should be fine.

winterkid 8th February 2011 03:53 PM

Thx ts. . . . I'll keep an eye on it. . . . I will upate the progress in a few weeks time.:smile:

winterkid 9th February 2011 10:52 PM

Hey I think that my vft growth is slowing down. . . .anyone know how longs it takes of a vft leaf to mature? And how do I perform dormancy for it?

caseyhoo 9th February 2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winterkid (Post 39649)
Hey I think that my vft growth is slowing down. . . .anyone know how longs it takes of a vft leaf to mature? And how do I perform dormancy for it?

For me, only all of below criteria is fullfill only consider into dormancy
1. trap closing speed is slow
2. new trap is far far smaller with previous
3. speed of producing new leaf is slow
4. all old leaf dried

If the plant is into Dormancy, then need to give it dry or cold dormancy. Depends on yours decision... There is few thread on how to do that.

winterkid 9th February 2011 11:36 PM

Hey KC which type of dormancy do you think is easier and safer to be performed by a newbie...???? What are the risk of dry and wet dormancy??:confused:

caseyhoo 9th February 2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winterkid (Post 39652)
Hey KC which type of dormancy do you think is easier and safer to be performed by a newbie...???? What are the risk of dry and wet dormancy??:confused:

Im not good in dormancy handling... But, few master in here recommend dry dormancy.

risk of both method is same ---- DIE!!

TS 10th February 2011 11:27 AM

Winterkid..... how should I address you? May I know your name, please.:smile:
Please leave your plant alone for a few weeks to decide on whether it go dormant or not, if your plant do go on environment adaptation, by forcing it to go dormant will probably force it to death. Don't be too worry about the plant, it should be fine. I personally find dry dormancy is the better way for VFT's dormancy in the tropic.

caseyhoo 10th February 2011 03:00 PM

On top of that, please dont move yours plant here and there. The plant may confused which environment they suppose adapt to. End up, the plant may stress and not growing well.

Harris Azariel 10th February 2011 03:05 PM

dry dormancy sounds good.but u need to have sometime for your VFTs since u must make sure the soil isnt wet or too moist.it must be just damp :)

for a beginner,i suggest u to do dry dormancy.but like me i dont have time to check all my vft since i got other plants to care for,so i fridge them.

winterkid 10th February 2011 07:14 PM

Hey kc. . I am samuel. .. .just call me sam. . . . . . . . . How do I do dry dormancy? I only know how to do fridge . . . . .

TS 12th February 2011 12:39 PM

Just leave it where it is and maintain the media just damp. You should remove the water tray so that the media won't be soaked in the water. The plant should looked very ugly at this time but be patient and don't do anything yet.
Change the growing media and do the repotting after 2 months. Leave the newly repotted plant in a bright spot (no direct sun), move it out for full sun after a week. The plant should be able to wake up from the dormancy.:laugh:

Harris Azariel 12th February 2011 01:31 PM

i never try dry dormancy,will try it soon if a vft of mine heading dormancy :)

winterkid 12th February 2011 09:40 PM

but i think that fridge is easier than dry............:laugh:
wont they rot with dry dormancy?

Harris Azariel 13th February 2011 01:04 AM

if your not careful with fridge,it'll die easily too :)

about rot,im not sure for dry but fridge very high chance.

winterkid 13th February 2011 05:00 PM

what should i look out for or BECAREFULL during fridge dormancy??????

and by the way..... my VFT seeds sprouted...... just a little bit of root comming out of the end of the seed.......*biggrin2* when should i transfer them to a pot:confused:

Harris Azariel 13th February 2011 08:28 PM

fridge dormant=dont keep it too wet or moist and dont drasticly put it in the fridge,gradually lower the temps around it.

about your VFT seed,lets wait for TS.i before try transfering to pot from water but all died few days later.but some had success.lets just wait for sifu TS :)

winterkid 13th February 2011 11:29 PM

oh ok........... TS sifu ...........faster come pls.........
i wanna ask when to transfer the vft seeds to a pot??????they have been sowing in water ...........i saw some roots comming out of the seeds....:confused:
i only have 5 seeds......... so i hope to at least get 3 or 4 or even all plantlets

TS 14th February 2011 11:28 AM

Aiyo..... please don't call me sifu lah.... I believe we are all still learning from each other, so we just help each other:laugh:
You may transfer them to growing media in a week time. I used 2 peat : 1 perlite as media. Please make sure the roots are in the peat and after transfer, drop a few drops of water to the plantlet gently to make sure roots are properly covered by peat. Place it in bright shade. Always moniter the water level in the tray and make sure the media around the plantlet is always damp.

winterkid 14th February 2011 03:12 PM

And do I need to put a thin layer of peat on top and some LFS In the bottom?lfs is to hold more moisture.

TS 14th February 2011 08:05 PM

You don't have to. Just poke a small hole on the media with a tooth pick, avoid perlite on top or maybe pick up and move aside, insert the root in that small hole and cover back with (damp) peat, make sure to cover the entire part of root with peat, you must be very gentle when you do this.
One more thing I forgot to tell, about 'when to transfer the plantlet', wait till the first two leaves to fully open before you transfer it. Don't use tweezers to pick up the plantlets, you may just damage them because they are too fragile, a toothpick is good enough.
Happy growing!

winterkid 14th February 2011 08:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
oh ok........thx sifu..
here are the pics of the seeds

Attachment 4394

Attachment 4395