Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   "Drier" media Neps..? (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3791)

jixxxs 3rd February 2010 07:04 PM

"Drier" media Neps..?

Though i'd spin this off from Cway's thread as i would like to know as well. Don't know much but hoping the experience ones can add on to the list of Neps that like their media drier.

So far i know:

1. N. albomarginata - kuching
2. N. truncata
3. N. densiflora x truncata

marvin1997 3rd February 2010 08:22 PM

Re: "Drier" media Neps..?

N.northiana

sooxiwei 3rd February 2010 09:04 PM

thanks jixxxs for helping out on the list of nep that require less water:1thumbup:

hongrui 3rd February 2010 09:37 PM

veitchii is another

jixxxs 3rd February 2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sooxiwei (Post 25946)
thanks jixxxs for helping out on the list of nep that require less water:1thumbup:

No worries CWay... i want to know too... :laugh:

Ok Guys/Gals... come on... we got 5 now.... i am sure those of you who have been growing neps for years can add on a lot more...???

1. N. albomarginata - kuching
2. N. truncata
3. N. densiflora x truncata
4. N. northiana
5. N. veitchii

NepNut 3rd February 2010 10:02 PM

N. campanulata and N. boschiana. I think it's safe to say that most intermediate and H/L neps species preferred well drain media.

jixxxs 5th February 2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NepNut (Post 25949)
N. campanulata and N. boschiana. I think it's safe to say that most intermediate and H/L neps species preferred well drain media.

but albo a lowlander right..??

and what about hybrids... if they are mixed.. highland and lowland .. would they like it dry or wet..?

arvin555 5th February 2010 11:00 AM

For me I keep my Albomarginata under a water tray, but many experts say that Albomarginata can take very dry medium and not die. This is in contrast with Mirabilis that can't take dry medium. So yes Albomarginata is a low lander but they are known to be able to take dry times. Would anyone from Malaysia confirm this please?

As for hybrids, I think that hybrids at least have bigger tolerance with dry or wetter medium. I tend to like most of my neps to have water all the time so they tend to get a water tray, I haven't seen any problems with my hybrids having water tray under them. Miranda looks very happy with very airy potting mix but with water underneath it.

TTFN
Arvin

NepNut 5th February 2010 11:31 AM

N. albomarginata's distribution is in Borneo, Peninsular Malaysia and Sumatra. As far as I know, most albos in Peninsular Malaysia can only be found in intermediate level 700-1100m ASL.

I also know Borneo have L/L population of albo but I can't comment on the albos from Sumatra.

That's why we have a cultivation guide since we can't really list down all the hybrids (the list is endless with new hybrids created everday) but at least to a certain extent we can cover the species only.

I think the most important point is the term "drier"... the idea is to provide well drain media, not a media that will absorb water and hold the water. Most nep still prefer media that is moist but only a few neps can really handle the "wet" media well.

marvin1997 5th February 2010 04:16 PM

Hmm my albo from fauzi(kucing one)likes dry media while the red albo likes to be wet...hope this can help you guys