Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes Propagation (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Growing My N.Northiana (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3990)

marvin1997 9th April 2010 07:15 PM

Re: Growing My N.Northiana

4 Attachment(s)
Well I don't put layer on my northiana medium. I did it last time and doesn't help at all(:laugh:My opinion) Well I just mix them up. Perlite, silica sand and vermiculite
Attachment 3491

Attachment 3492

Attachment 3493
The medium...
Attachment 3494

allenphoon 13th April 2010 01:04 AM

nice plant also....haha

marvin1997 13th April 2010 06:33 PM

Pitcher is dam*ed small. Wondering when will it grow big. Edward, do you put them in shade?

kentosaurs 13th April 2010 06:57 PM

Might probably get a northiana maybe at the end of the month for piscesilim or something...

edwardyeeks 13th April 2010 08:04 PM

I'm not putting them in lots of shade. Ask Fauzi. His pitchers are double yours but the leaves are the same diameter.

paphioboy 14th April 2010 09:57 AM

edward, I understand you're trying to create the most natural media for your northiana, but these are my opinions on your complex medium:

1. I highly doubt that sphagnum moss would grow on the vertical limestone cliffs and crevices that northiana naturally inhabits. I think that most of the moisture comes from decomposing leaf litter and heavy dew. IMHO, a lot of these cliff-dwelling plants can take less water than we give them credit for. I grow a slipper orchid (Paphiopedilum stonei) which comes from similar habitats as northiana in Sarawak. Previously, I used rather fine media which remain excessively moist and the plants dies. Now, I'm having success with coarser media and watering only once every 2 days. Don't worry. The plants will adapt to your conditions sooner or later.

2. Your complex mix seems to utilise a lot of organic matter (dead fer leaves etc). As you plan to grow in a terrarium, I am concerned that the high humidity, coupled with lack of airflow may cause very quick deterioration of the compost and create fungal or bacterial problems. I think that in high humidity situations, a more inorganic compost is the way to go.

Good luck! :)

marvin1997 14th April 2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardyeeks (Post 28003)
I'm not putting them in lots of shade. Ask Fauzi. His pitchers are double yours but the leaves are the same diameter.

Okay..but it doesn't really grows that slow like people says don't you think?:sweating:

kentosaurs 14th April 2010 07:16 PM

I use to have one but forgot to water for a few days (my mistake) and it died...But when it was living it grew quite fast but not pitchering thats all

edwardyeeks 14th April 2010 09:10 PM

Paphioboy, thanks for the concern. I have just recently revised my extra complex growing media and made it MUCH more simpler :smile:.

I got white pebbles which are about the size of two ping-pong balls and made them as the bedrock for the plant. The gaps between the big pebbles were filled with small 2-3cm diameter limestone. I think that the white pebbles are limestone.....because when I smashed it and checked the inside of the pebble, it resembled the real limestone that I have. Plus, the outside of the pebble was very dusty. White dust.

I filled up the 6 inches deep pot about two thirds with the pebbles and limestone. Then, I used a mix of tree bark, a little bit of dead ferns, lots of the small limestone, quite a number of charcoal and some sphagnum. The sphagnum is only to retain water since I found my previous media which was perlite, charcoal and limestone(which turned out to be granite) to dry up VERY fast. Even in my terrarium, the media dried up in 1 and a half days.

And about air ventilation? :biggrin2: I have the solution to that! My terrarium is a styrofoam box with four 8x5cm rectangular holes that I cut. When I opened all four, the ventilation was quite well. I leave two holes open during the day and one hole opened during the night. So far, I tested out for fungus by putting wet wood for nearly a month. The wood decomposed, but there was no sign of any fungus or harmful parasites. Also, I seem to notice that charcoal hinders the growth of fungus. Not sure about that, but is it true?

Cheers.....will post pics on my north after the plant has recuperated and started growing. Thanks for comments.

paphioboy 15th April 2010 01:40 PM

Charcoal seems to be a beneficial additive to many mixes. I'm not sure what exactly it does, but I have added it to soil mixes, nep mix and even for regular garden plants.