Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   plants that goes with nep (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3379)

sooxiwei 22nd November 2009 04:41 AM

plants that goes with nep

hi to all, after seeing many awesome nep picture since joining, I saw a lot of other form of plant that grow on the nep pot as well, many says that most of it are not good for the nep, but it happens to be a good complement to the nep as an extra deco like live sphagnum moss, I would like to know more about plants that members have been growing on nep pot, do not hesitate to tell the type of plants that complement your nep:smile:

rsivertsen 22nd November 2009 09:40 AM

Re: plants that goes with nep

I have several Utrics and Dros that become weeds and invade the Nepenthes pots; they don't really compete with the Nepenthes, so I don't really mind. Mosses also seem to appear spontaneously as do several ferns, but depending on what ferns they are, I'll pull out those that can get very big and out grow the Nepenthes. I used to grow some Lycopodiums with Nepenthes as many seem to grow with them in the wild, but haven't had the chance to do that again recently. - Rich

Robert 22nd November 2009 10:05 AM

I use local moss associated with neps as decoration. In the wild neps are found to grow on moss pads so no they are not harmful and yes, as you say, they complement each other.

Ferns tend to make their home on neps pots which i trim off when overgrown. Their roots open up the media which encourage aeration and drainage which is useful for neps.

kentosaurs 22nd November 2009 03:25 PM

Though ferns aren't really that bad but i dun really like them....I trim most of them when they reach a certain size...Also i was repotting the other day and i was trying to remove a bit of the old media but cos of many fern roots the media is a bit hard and tough

sooxiwei 22nd November 2009 05:42 PM

any idea what species of moss or fern? thanks:smile:

Vincent 23rd November 2009 08:29 AM

I think the best plant "decorators" are succulents. They are kinda like cacti, so right now they are flowering =) There are tons of different kinds of them, they are easy to grow, and you can find them at lowes, home depot, etc. and they will be by the poor little boxed CP's. I have this really really spikey one, and it resonded well when i moved it in with my plants. I think i will divide it and plant one of the babies in a nep. pot.

Vincent 23rd November 2009 08:30 AM

the flowers look like pink flamingo heads =p

rsivertsen 23rd November 2009 09:07 AM

Well, the problem with growing cacti and succulents with Nepenthes is that Nepenthes do best in higher humidity which can cause cacti and succulents some problems, as these plants grow best in low humidity and arid conditions. Tillandsias are fairly common in Nepenthes collections along with other Bromeliads, ferns and Lycopodiums, all of which love high humidity conditions. - Rich

kentosaurs 23rd November 2009 09:25 AM

I have this furry spiked cactus and it has been with me for about 3 years now....It came even earlier than i started CPs and now it multiplied and cover the whole sursace of the pot...Its VIGOROUS!

Growing side by side with my cps..

marvin1997 3rd December 2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent (Post 23134)
I think the best plant "decorators" are succulents. They are kinda like cacti, so right now they are flowering =) There are tons of different kinds of them, they are easy to grow, and you can find them at lowes, home depot, etc. and they will be by the poor little boxed CP's. I have this really really spikey one, and it resonded well when i moved it in with my plants. I think i will divide it and plant one of the babies in a nep. pot.

Erm we don't have llowes or death cubes in Malaysia