Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   mosquito medicine for CP???? (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=952)

caseyhoo 21st July 2008 04:56 PM

mosquito medicine for CP????

Now, I have 3 water tray for Drosera, 1 for Sarra, 1 for FlyTrap. Last time, I use to keep a betta in 1 of water tray. But, betta is not doing fine in others tray, die in few days.

I know that water change is the best way to prevent mosquito. Im thinking to use mosquito medicine that sell in hardware shop. Anyone try it before? Please lets me know... Else, some of my CP going to become white mouse soon... :crying:

Thanx in advance...

arvin555 22nd July 2008 01:04 AM

Re: mosquito medicine for CP????

Casey I don't know what you mean by your CPs becoming white mouse, do you mean that if you cannot make sure your water tray is mosquito larvae free you need to get rid of your CPs? Well we don't want that so I give you some tips.

1. what I do is I have a syringe and everyday if I find Mossie larvae I suck them up with syringe and put in a small container, I then pour them into my pond with fish or my bettas, yes I keep bettas too. This is best way for me coz I have live food for my bettas. In water tray I also see bloodworms which I also feed to fish.

2. If you don't like this idea, then I think more natural way than chemical way is the way to go.

a. You need to prevent mosquitos from laying on your water tray. A bit difficult even with screens.

b. You need to make sure that Mossie larvaes do not find ideal living area in your tray. Which means either keep water tray water level low that they can't live in it, coz it dried up every other day. (but might not be good for VFT drying out).

c. Use some kind of medium on your water tray, that can "wick" water into the pot but make it difficult for mossie larvae to live in. Some examples are

1. very tiny pebbles in the tray.
2. Dried sphagnum moss in the tray.
3. Cocofiber in the tray.
4. Water movement, maybe add aeration bubbles to the water trays, Aquarium airpump, the idea is that mossie larvaes do not like water surface movement. I think they die coz they can't breath well when water is always moving from the air bubbles.

No. 3 I saw a picture of one either in this forum or another forum, the person who used it say that it is a cocomat and the mat is under a tray of water, the mat wicks water into the pots and medium, keeping it moist, etc. The mat will preven the larvaes from being able to live in the water because it is crowded. Same concept as no. 1 and 2 also.

Oh, lastly, maybe try to put in some aquatic utricularias which hopefully will feed on the Mossie larvaes. A member posted that he put U. Gibba in his water tray which I thought was cool in the first place, and I am trying it now, but maybe that can double the purpose in avoiding mosquitos from breeding in your tray water. Not sure if he still gets mossie larvaes with his U. Gibba in water tray.

WAIT!! Casey it was you! It was your post! So even with the Gibba you still have Mossie larvae?

Anyways Good luck!

TTFN
Arvin

caseyhoo 22nd July 2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arvin555 (Post 1661)
Casey I don't know what you mean by your CPs becoming white mouse, do you mean that if you cannot make sure your water tray is mosquito larvae free you need to get rid of your CPs? Well we don't want that so I give you some tips.

1. what I do is I have a syringe and everyday if I find Mossie larvae I suck them up with syringe and put in a small container, I then pour them into my pond with fish or my bettas, yes I keep bettas too. This is best way for me coz I have live food for my bettas. In water tray I also see bloodworms which I also feed to fish.

2. If you don't like this idea, then I think more natural way than chemical way is the way to go.

a. You need to prevent mosquitos from laying on your water tray. A bit difficult even with screens.

b. You need to make sure that Mossie larvaes do not find ideal living area in your tray. Which means either keep water tray water level low that they can't live in it, coz it dried up every other day. (but might not be good for VFT drying out).

c. Use some kind of medium on your water tray, that can "wick" water into the pot but make it difficult for mossie larvae to live in. Some examples are

1. very tiny pebbles in the tray.
2. Dried sphagnum moss in the tray.
3. Cocofiber in the tray.
4. Water movement, maybe add aeration bubbles to the water trays, Aquarium airpump, the idea is that mossie larvaes do not like water surface movement. I think they die coz they can't breath well when water is always moving from the air bubbles.

No. 3 I saw a picture of one either in this forum or another forum, the person who used it say that it is a cocomat and the mat is under a tray of water, the mat wicks water into the pots and medium, keeping it moist, etc. The mat will preven the larvaes from being able to live in the water because it is crowded. Same concept as no. 1 and 2 also.

Oh, lastly, maybe try to put in some aquatic utricularias which hopefully will feed on the Mossie larvaes. A member posted that he put U. Gibba in his water tray which I thought was cool in the first place, and I am trying it now, but maybe that can double the purpose in avoiding mosquitos from breeding in your tray water. Not sure if he still gets mossie larvaes with his U. Gibba in water tray.

WAIT!! Casey it was you! It was your post! So even with the Gibba you still have Mossie larvae?

Anyways Good luck!

TTFN
Arvin

Become "white mouse" means, will use some of my CPs for experiment... :blush:

I think, 1st solution is out for me... Because, I seldom check out my CPs tray... No time...

Chemical is what im thinking... But, must do some experiment. Unless there is some expert tried it before.

I think the most practical way for me is "Use some kind of medium on your water tray".

Utric in water tray didnt help much in mossie larvae control...

Out of topic, my U. gibba that grow on top of spagnum moss is flowering!!!

hongrui 22nd July 2008 11:48 AM

i am using some anti-larve bits that i place in my water trays. so far so good. no larve and no adverse reactions from my drosera and vfts. but you cannot have rain water flusing out the trays, otherwise the chemicals all get flushed out and you'll have larve in the trays.

caseyhoo 22nd July 2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hongrui (Post 1678)
i am using some anti-larve bits that i place in my water trays. so far so good. no larve and no adverse reactions from my drosera and vfts. but you cannot have rain water flusing out the trays, otherwise the chemicals all get flushed out and you'll have larve in the trays.

Cool... Thanx for input...

not sure whether the anti-larvae bits that you are using is same with mine...

David 22nd July 2008 03:40 PM

Casey, U gibba traps are too tiny to capture mosquito larvae. Perhaps you could try U. aurea that has a much bigger trap. But then again, looking at the traps, perhaps it si still too small to swallow the mosquito larvae. Perhaps get the Utric species with traps that are about 1 inch in diameter... sorry, can't remember that species name. It's not found in Malaysia. However, that aquatic species has the largest traps.

Thanks Arvin for your tips. Very useful information.

caseyhoo 22nd July 2008 06:17 PM

Even there is U. trap that able capture mossie larvae... I still dont think it will able fully control it...

jk 23rd July 2008 05:52 PM

Another idea is to let the water evaporate completely every so often -- but just briefly.

David 23rd July 2008 07:15 PM

What I so is every now and then, I pour out the water in the tray and replace with fresh water.

arvin555 24th July 2008 11:30 AM

Ah yes actually I do what David does, but with a "twist" I pour out the water into my pond which contains bettas or Guppies and Utrics. My water dish also gets some bloodworms and some tiny freshwater crustacians such as moina/cyclops, which gets dumped into the pond too. Besides I think the CPs do appreciate that the water be changed from time to time.

I do the drying out technique like what JK said for my Droseras.

TTFN
Arvin

ps. Riverstein said that the only CP that he knows that catches Mossie Larvaes well are Aldrovanda, but not sure if they will thrive in water tray. :)