Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Drosera (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Drosera seed raising mix and germination rate. (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3115)

Richard Hole 3rd October 2009 01:05 AM

Drosera seed raising mix and germination rate.

Hi

I read that sand should be used in the seed raising mix for Drosera seeds. However, it would have to be fine sand. I bought some coarse washed river sand. How about if I put a layer of pure sphagnum based peat moss on the top of the mix in the seed raising tray where the layer may be about 1 centimeter deep. Below that I could just have the usual potting mix of peat and coarse river sand. Do you think that would be all right and as good as some fine sand on the surface? It would save mixing up fine sand. Also, even fine sand particles may be larger than some of the Drosera seed and a risk could be if the seed lands on a grain of sand and does not make good contact with the peat moss to get moisture.

Also on the average what percentage of the seed should germinate for most Drosera? For example, I bought some packs of the below seed. If it is a very high germination rate, perhaps one seed could be dropped into each of the small pots. This would save transplanting the plants from the tray to pots later on.

Slackii
Peltata
Aliciae
Filiformis
Burmannii
Intermedia
Nidiformis
Dielsiana
Capensis Broad Leaf
Capensis Red form

Your help is appreciated,
Regards Richard.

strath76 3rd October 2009 01:53 PM

Re: Drosera seed raising mix and germination rate.

Hi Richard. Just mix the sand and peat together. I mix at a rate of 50:50. Sprinkle the seed on this and they will be growing in no time. Germination rate depends on a number of factors and it is generally easier to sprinkle some on the surface and separate later. Especially due to the small size of the seed. Capensis grows like a weed for me and many others.

Peltata may need some heat treatment or GA3 whereas the filiformis requires stratification to get good germination. You should get good germination from the ones you have listed there. They are all fairly good growers that don't require a lot of care to get going.

Richard Hole 3rd October 2009 04:00 PM

Hi

Thanks for the letter. Do you think pure peat on the surface could be a disadvantage over a mix with sand? Bear in mind if I used pure peat on the surface, I would have a mix of coarse sand and peat underneath the top layer of pure peat that could be about 1cm thick.

I thought the advantage of using pure peat on the surface is that it would save making up a special mix of peat and fine sand. Also it could be possible that a small Drosera seed could land on a larger piece of sand and not get enough moisture.

Your help will be appreciated,
Regards Richard

Richard Hole 13th October 2009 09:17 AM

Hi

I had an idea for the heat treatment of Drosera Peltata. The seed could be sown in a pot and the soil wet in the middle of summer. It could then be sealed in a plastic bag to retain moisture and the pot could be left out in full sun so that the seeds and soil gets hot. It could be left there for about 6 weeks. Then the pot could be moved into a greenhouse where the pot is taken out of the plastic bag and put in a ventilated terrarium until the seeds germinate. It could stand in a tray of water. Then it could be taken out of the terrarium and the pot could stand in a tray of water in the greenhouse or in some full autumn sun. Do you think that could be a good idea?

For the other seeds listed in my earlier question above, would the best time to sew them be in spring? Do any of the others require special treatment apart from Drosera Filiformis that requires stratification?

Do you think all these seeds would grow well if they are sown in pure peat moss on the surface with a mixture of peat and sand underneath the peat layer?

Regards Richard.

strath76 13th October 2009 10:42 AM

Your idea for peltata may work. It would be easier to just light a fire with a few leaves on top of the pot.

For the other seeds just put them into a pot and they will grow without too many hassles. You can put peat on the top if you like but it isn't necessary. It is a matter of personal opinion really. I just use my standard mix for them as described above and I don't have any problems. You just need to ensure that if you are using different mixes together it can effect how water moves through the soil. Make sure the top layer doesn't dry out.

Richard Hole 13th October 2009 12:15 PM

Hi

Thanks for the letter.

I initially thought that boiling water could be used. That would be simpler than lighting a fire. The seeds could be sprinkled on the surface of the peat in the pot and boiling water could then be carefully poured on to the surface. Could that work well?

However, the reason why I did not suggest this before is because of the page I read at http://www.rarexoticseeds.com/droser...m_store=french

It states “The seeds require 6 weeks hot stratification.”

So fire or boiling water may not be a long enough time.

Regards Richard.

Richard Hole 21st November 2009 12:44 PM

Hi

I still have not had a chance to plant the drosera seeds I listed in my earlier post above. Is it still all right to pot them now or would it be better to store them until next spring? We are in late spring and summer is only a couple of weeks away. I am from Tolga, near Cairns where air temperatures in the winter drop to about 4 degrees. I could pot them next week. However, I plan to store filiformis until next spring after stratifying the seeds over the winter.

On another matter, I have a Drosera Binata that has many plants in one pot to divide. Would it be better to wait until next spring or could the plants still grow all right if they are divided now?

Your help is appreciated
Regards Richard.