Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Utricularia (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   A test of Utricularia gibba (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1951)

edwardyeeks 29th January 2009 09:40 PM

A test of Utricularia gibba

Hey guys.........

Ok, this is not a very interesting experiment, but I thought I should let you all know. After I got my utricularia gibba, I seperated some of it. I put some gibba in a container full of water with peat moss at the bottom. I used another container with some fine burnt red soil mixed with water. I left both of them be for a week.

The result? The gibba in the container of water and peat moss grew new parts and lots of bladders while the gibba in the container of water and fine red burnt soil barely even grew........:smile:

Therefore, utricularia gibba prefers acidic water and burnt red soil is not suitable for growing utricularia gibba in water.

Cheers

Khoas 30th January 2009 02:45 PM

Re: A test of Utricularia gibba

Once the gibba build up it size, allow the water level to drop. Once the water level near the peat it will promote flowering.

kentosaurs 30th January 2009 04:35 PM

I want an urtic but the algaer build up in a tray of water or a cup of water is quite fast in my area.......Ed can trade the gibba instead???

Ken

Ifurita 30th January 2009 10:21 PM

Interestingly, after experimenting with U. gibba, I've discovered that you don't really need to drop the water levels to get U. gibba to flower. Dropping the water level will work, but you can actually get U. gibba to flower without doing that: I've got a tank of U. gibba which is flowering non-stop and all the U. gibba is floating on the surface, at least 5 inches above the peat at the bottom of the tank. I'll upload a pic when I've got time to snap one, things a bit hectic now.

kentosaurs 30th January 2009 10:34 PM

Hi

Normally how much water you guys actually put????? A gallon of water is quite a lot so can i use less then that????

Ken

Khoas 31st January 2009 08:44 AM

gibba can be grown in teacup.

marvin1997 1st February 2009 09:04 PM

What about those small plastic aquarium for turtles and those things?

kentosaurs 1st February 2009 10:44 PM

Okays i think i'm gonna use those plastic containers we use to keep those biscuts (hw do we spell that again O.O) for gibbas if i get 1...So 5 inches of water ei....So how much peat if i would to put around 5-7" of water? (inches)

Ken

Khoas 2nd February 2009 11:44 AM

about 1" of peat.

marvin1997 2nd February 2009 01:41 PM

Can they grow in water trays?I think my water tray is big enough.And they can save me the problem for mosquitoes,don't need to put pebbles cause when I put too much water in the tray the mosquitoes still breed.....