Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Dionaea muscipula (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Dormancy (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=6637)

winterkid 7th February 2011 11:26 PM

Re: Dormancy

U think the sun is too hot? My sarra are growing redder pitchers. (From what I saw from the rhizome of the sarra)

TS 8th February 2011 11:44 AM

If there is sufficient of sunlight, no root rot, no bug attack, the plant might go under adaptation in the new growing condition and environment then. To me the plant looked fine, just unsure of what cause the darker colour on the lower part of the stem, if the stem/core if OK, then the plant should be fine.

winterkid 8th February 2011 03:53 PM

Thx ts. . . . I'll keep an eye on it. . . . I will upate the progress in a few weeks time.:smile:

winterkid 9th February 2011 10:52 PM

Hey I think that my vft growth is slowing down. . . .anyone know how longs it takes of a vft leaf to mature? And how do I perform dormancy for it?

caseyhoo 9th February 2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winterkid (Post 39649)
Hey I think that my vft growth is slowing down. . . .anyone know how longs it takes of a vft leaf to mature? And how do I perform dormancy for it?

For me, only all of below criteria is fullfill only consider into dormancy
1. trap closing speed is slow
2. new trap is far far smaller with previous
3. speed of producing new leaf is slow
4. all old leaf dried

If the plant is into Dormancy, then need to give it dry or cold dormancy. Depends on yours decision... There is few thread on how to do that.

winterkid 9th February 2011 11:36 PM

Hey KC which type of dormancy do you think is easier and safer to be performed by a newbie...???? What are the risk of dry and wet dormancy??:confused:

caseyhoo 9th February 2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winterkid (Post 39652)
Hey KC which type of dormancy do you think is easier and safer to be performed by a newbie...???? What are the risk of dry and wet dormancy??:confused:

Im not good in dormancy handling... But, few master in here recommend dry dormancy.

risk of both method is same ---- DIE!!

TS 10th February 2011 11:27 AM

Winterkid..... how should I address you? May I know your name, please.:smile:
Please leave your plant alone for a few weeks to decide on whether it go dormant or not, if your plant do go on environment adaptation, by forcing it to go dormant will probably force it to death. Don't be too worry about the plant, it should be fine. I personally find dry dormancy is the better way for VFT's dormancy in the tropic.

caseyhoo 10th February 2011 03:00 PM

On top of that, please dont move yours plant here and there. The plant may confused which environment they suppose adapt to. End up, the plant may stress and not growing well.

Harris Azariel 10th February 2011 03:05 PM

dry dormancy sounds good.but u need to have sometime for your VFTs since u must make sure the soil isnt wet or too moist.it must be just damp :)

for a beginner,i suggest u to do dry dormancy.but like me i dont have time to check all my vft since i got other plants to care for,so i fridge them.