Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   All Stuff On Carnivorous Plants (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Importing Nepenthes into Malaysia from Singapore (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1516)

Aliamyz 11th November 2008 08:16 PM

Importing Nepenthes into Malaysia from Singapore

Hi guys and gals,

What will happen if someone intend to bring nepenthes from Singapore to Malaysia?And how many plants they can bring?

Will the customs destroy the plants without CITIES?:confused:

Thanx!

hongrui 11th November 2008 11:26 PM

Re: Importing Nepenthes into Malaysia from Singapore

to bring plants out of singapore, you'd need an export permit from AVA and also arrange for a phytosanitary inspection of the plants to certify that they are pest free. if the plants you want to bring out are CITES listed, then you also will need to apply for a CITES cert. i believe you also need to apply for an import permit with the malaysian authorities before you can bring the plants into malaysia.

plantlover 11th November 2008 11:33 PM

My mum bought 4 ant plants from Singapore and brought to Malaysia with no permit.

kentosaurs 11th November 2008 11:37 PM

Heheheheh okay i have totally no idea whats CITIES and all this stuff anways....If people check..HIDE IT UNDER YOUR SHIRT LOL...

Ken

plantlover 11th November 2008 11:57 PM

Yah thats what I thought too.

David 12th November 2008 12:36 AM

I have changed the title of this thread to "Importing Nepenthes into Malaysia from Singapore" instead of "The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species" to better describe this thread.

To find out more about CITES you can check out the article in Resources Page on the homepage here.

To find out about importing plants from Singapore to Malaysia, check out the articles in the Resource page here and here. I am not sure if what hongrui says about the laws is an update to what is in the archive. If it is I will need to update the article.

Please note that there are penalties if you are caught breaking the law and please remember that this is an open forum. Hope everyone understands the seriousness of this matter and that PetPitcher does not encourage unlawful behaviour.

hongrui 12th November 2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 7466)
To find out about importing plants from Singapore to Malaysia, check out the articles in the Resource page here and here. I am not sure if what hongrui says about the laws is an update to what is in the archive. If it is I will need to update the article.

hi david, what i've said above is not an update per se, but more of an add-on. what cindy mentioned in the article is about exporting plants from malaysia to singapore, but the process i mentioned was for the reverse, exporting plants from singapore to malaysia.

i must confess that it may not be totally accurate in all aspects as i'm not conversant with the import regulations for plants for malaysia.

:laugh:

David 12th November 2008 10:22 AM

The article in the "Conservation and Forestry Laws in Malaysia" on the Resource page states...

"No person shall bring into the State or take out of the State any protected/wild plant except with an import/export permit/license. Any person who contravenes these laws commits an offense and shall be liable upon conviction to a fine of not more than RM50,000.00 or not more than 5 years imprisonment or both depending on whether the offense is commited in Sabah, Sarawak or Peninsular Malaysia. In some states, the penalty includes a fine of RM2,000.00 or five times the value of the plant imported or exported."

Click on the attachments "Forestry Act 1993 (Akta Perhutanan Negara 1993)" in the article to read the full pdf doc.

kentosaurs 12th November 2008 10:51 AM

Man.........thats a whole lot of money/RMs to pay lol............Sigh.....No more hiding plants under your shirts......(Heard that Aaron) jkjk.

Ken

Aliamyz 12th November 2008 09:17 PM

Where can i get the CITIES permit to bring plants from Singapore to Malaysia?