Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Introduction (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Hi from Penang (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=4693)

cowlat 13th December 2010 09:56 PM

Hi from Penang

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone. just started this hobby few days ago. went to the flora fest in botanical garden and caught hold of some cp. never thought of starting this hobby but who knows, it attracted me and bought 2 pots home.

here's an intro of me. i'm charles and from penang. already in aquascaping and now starting cp. :2thumbup:

here's what i have. venus flytrap and drosera burmannii.
https://forum.petpitcher.net/attachme...1&d=1292244894
https://forum.petpitcher.net/attachme...1&d=1292244894

give me some beginner's advice which i might miss out reading everywhere:unsure:

thanks peeps:1thumbup:

paphioboy 13th December 2010 10:00 PM

Re: Hi from Penang

Hi and welcome to PP from Penang too... :)

NepNut 13th December 2010 10:20 PM

Welcome to PP. Score one for another member from northern region. *biggrin2*

Looks like you got plants originated from Lim. Good buy !! :1thumbup:

piscesilim 13th December 2010 10:41 PM

You need to give D. burmannii full sun. If got no enough sunlight, they turn green.

Typical VFT not from me. I think it is YG plant. Put it under 50% shade cloth would be fine.

cowlat 13th December 2010 10:57 PM

yeah. d. burmanni from lim and vft from another stall down the road. de tanjong garden. what is YG?

piscesilim 13th December 2010 11:17 PM

A nursery at Cameron Highland.

Harris Azariel 14th December 2010 12:01 AM

welcome to PP!

that Flora Fest spread the Virus widely huh.....
Cmon....bring it down to the south, lower,lower!!
KL,ipoh,Johor,melaka etc etc....
the northern territory gets infected easily....haha sorry if i heard someone's feeling hehe*biggrin2*

phangst 14th December 2010 12:14 AM

any special flytrap sell there ? when closing ?

NepNut 14th December 2010 12:43 AM

Bro, I think you shd sell not buy more VFT la... hehehe...

Harris Azariel 14th December 2010 01:19 AM

MR.Phang got so many VFTs ...
go sell your typicals and use the money to buy other VFT cultivars la....

Harris Azariel 14th December 2010 01:21 AM

penang flora fest:
11th-19th December 2010
9AM to 7PM

plantlover 14th December 2010 01:42 AM

Welcome to Petpitcher!!

cowlat 14th December 2010 10:34 AM

i dont know which is normal vft and which is special. :laugh: i just kind of find it interesting that a plant can snap close and devour its prey. luckily it is not chewing the prey.:laugh:

LJ_Tan 14th December 2010 01:04 PM

Welcome to PetPitcher......

Harris Azariel 14th December 2010 02:23 PM

stay longer on this site and you will find out more infos about VFTs cultivars and other Cps and exotic plants tooo!

cowlat 14th December 2010 04:56 PM

alright...now the first thing is to read up on how to keep the cp alive and how to propagate. i read that they will grow old and die off and need to start again from seed or cuttings?

paphioboy 14th December 2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowlat (Post 34972)
alright...now the first thing is to read up on how to keep the cp alive and how to propagate. i read that they will grow old and die off and need to start again from seed or cuttings?

Nope. Nepenthes, sarracenia, venus flytraps and most other CPs are perennials. Some drosera should be regrown from seed when the mother plant deteriorates after flowering. Most CPs can be propagated from stem or leaf cuttings.

cowlat 14th December 2010 09:54 PM

oh yah. now it strikes me about flowering. drosera will keep flowering many times a year? or just once and we have to collect the seeds for regrown when it ripes?

phangst 15th December 2010 12:10 AM

for the flytrap can propogate by leaf pulling and for the burmanii only can propagate from seed but once it flower the plant will weaken and eventually die. if you want to keep the plant live longer, you need to cut the flower stalk.

NepNut 15th December 2010 12:18 AM

I can see some poor soul getting closer and closer to the "dark side".... this time really kena "cowlat" hahaha *biggrin2*

Eventually, all CP poison will bring you to neps... *biggrin2* Other CPs lover pls don't shoot me ya... *biggrin2*

cowlat 15th December 2010 08:50 AM

oh..so will only flower once. means have to keep the seeds or germinate it to get a new drosera:biggrin: if we cut the flower stalk, and cucuk back to the media, will it grow new drosera?*biggrin2*
i read up on fly trap and the leaf pulling seems quite troublesome. have to take the whole plant out and pull the leaf then plant it back.

yeah..cowlat liao this time? nep is monkey cup?

caseyhoo 15th December 2010 11:06 AM

At tropical country. D. burmanii will not die after it produce flower, just stress and weak. Unless, the plant is not healthy and flowering may causing it die.

I never try flower stalk of burmanii. not sure wheather it will produce plantlet or not.

Nep = Nepenthes = monkey cup = periuk kera.

Harris Azariel 15th December 2010 12:00 PM

even if your burmannii died,no worries.in 4-5months after germination,the plant is already mature and ready to flower and sometimes in quite a size too!

Angkau Tekor 15th December 2010 12:28 PM

Hahaha...welcome to PP cowlat. You sure will kena kaw kaw here...with all the poison around. By the time you realised it, you are already in too deep.*biggrin2*

cowlat 15th December 2010 04:39 PM

ahah...have to control...will stick to these 2 pots for many months though. the most is 2pots and a tray. will germinate the seeds of D. intermedia cuba. hopefully it is successful:biggrin:

caseyhoo 15th December 2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowlat (Post 35005)
ahah...have to control...will stick to these 2 pots for many months though. the most is 2pots and a tray. will germinate the seeds of D. intermedia cuba. hopefully it is successful:biggrin:

You will have D. burmanii, D. filiformis seeds as well. Lets see what seeds is available when I got yours evelope.
:1thumbup:

cbkhoon 15th December 2010 07:23 PM

mr. cowlat... which area u stay ? which CP u have currently ? i am from pg too

cowlat 15th December 2010 09:45 PM

thanks casey. i have prepare the envelope. hehe. will post tomorrow. so anxious to start sowing the seeds:1thumbup:

cbkhoon, can call me charles*biggrin2* i'm staying at gurney drive area. i have drosera brumani and vft right now. will start to germinate the seeds from casey once arrived.

penang hobbist, where do you get sphagnum moss and perlite? good and cheap? comeon...give me more advise..on where to buy, what is good price and what else i should prepare like accessories for this.

one question. do we need to follow the 4 season for planting? means have to wait for spring to plant and winter it will go dormant?:spinning:

thank you

allenphoon 15th December 2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowlat (Post 35015)
thanks casey. i have prepare the envelope. hehe. will post tomorrow. so anxious to start sowing the seeds:1thumbup:

cbkhoon, can call me charles*biggrin2* i'm staying at gurney drive area. i have drosera brumani and vft right now. will start to germinate the seeds from casey once arrived.

penang hobbist, where do you get sphagnum moss and perlite? good and cheap? comeon...give me more advise..on where to buy, what is good price and what else i should prepare like accessories for this.

one question. do we need to follow the 4 season for planting? means have to wait for spring to plant and winter it will go dormant?:spinning:

thank you

lol....*biggrin2*

but you can follow the season IF our country have four season instead of monsoon season, haha, WELCOME

tzestan 15th December 2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowlat (Post 35015)
penang hobbist, where do you get sphagnum moss and perlite? good and cheap?

I see most average size nurseries have those. Jusco also has.
Not sure about good and cheap though...:) Surely many are selling during the floral fest. Didn't stock up some?

Most CPs grow slowly. While waiting for them to grow, you'll start buying one after another... that's how everyone got stuck...

cowlat 15th December 2010 10:23 PM

jusco got sell sphagnum moss and perlite?
how silly of me not to get it at flora fest when i bought the cp.*biggrin2* will go over this friday to get some. normally how much do they cost? expensive?:1thumbup:

Harris Azariel 15th December 2010 10:47 PM

i know most people recommend sphagnum moss.but im here to recommend you peat moss.peat moss and sphagnum moss is almost the same price at Jusco(RM3.90 per small bag) and sphagnny is kinda in small amount.you need to buy a lot if you using few pots.but if u just need a little,go ahead

second,sphagnum moss sometimes makes repotting hard as it sticks to the plants' roots and you might break a few strands of roots and it tend to grow algae more easily than on peat.

just go there and think wether you wanna buy peat or sphagnny.its all up to you :)

Happy growing!
HArris

cbkhoon 15th December 2010 11:18 PM

mix sphanum moss with perlite in around 1 :1 , then u wil get higher amount coz the perlite tends to make more space in between the moss.. and better airy media for CPs.. most CP like airy media for speedy growth

NepNut 15th December 2010 11:51 PM

Really "cowlat" liao.... *biggrin2*

We'll eventually have a talk when you found yourself strangely attracted to neps... heheheh*biggrin2*

cowlat 16th December 2010 10:06 AM

ok will go over to flora fest tomorrow to get some sphagnum moss and perlite:1thumbup:

lol...jit pai toh cow lat liao*biggrin2*

got question, i saw in many photo, people put a piece of paper or card in the pot. what is that for?

caseyhoo 16th December 2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowlat (Post 35037)
ok will go over to flora fest tomorrow to get some sphagnum moss and perlite:1thumbup:

lol...jit pai toh cow lat liao*biggrin2*

got question, i saw in many photo, people put a piece of paper or card in the pot. what is that for?

I think you refer to name tag. Normally, it is to write sp. name of the plant. You may write date of purchase/from who/seed sow date as well... Depends on personnal preference

cowlat 16th December 2010 11:56 AM

ooo...now i know...i thought it is for some special purpose. thank you:1thumbup:

cbkhoon 19th December 2010 06:01 PM

jit pai toh cow lat liao !!!! get ready to cow lat !!

cowlat 19th December 2010 10:21 PM

:laugh: cowlat liao...
got a packet of sphagnum moss already. perlite out of stock. can i go dig the sand from botanical garden and use it instead of perlite? what's the difference for perlite and river sand?

thank you

cbkhoon 19th December 2010 11:10 PM

i can get u a pack of 250g for RM6, u can then mix this with around 500g moss to make a lot of media.

cowlat 20th December 2010 07:38 PM

how much is 500gm moss? ahah... i bought the packet of moss. looks quite big but dont know it is 500gm or not.:laugh:

ok. perlite 250gm. how to get it from you?

i read media mix is 1:1. what does it mean? 100gm perlite + 100gm moss?

cbkhoon 20th December 2010 07:58 PM

1:1 wil give more airy media but water retention is normal. 1 pearlite : 2 moss can give higher water retention. Another thing is u need to water regular if u use 1:1 coz water tends to dry faster. I live at Air Itam area. i pm u my HP later.

cowlat 20th December 2010 10:02 PM

ooo...so it is counted in gm then..or can just agak agak*biggrin2*

thanks khoon. will contact you later..:1thumbup: