Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes Database Project (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=239)
-   -   Nepenthes veitchii Cultivation Guide (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=2985)

Aliamyz 7th September 2009 10:47 PM

Nepenthes veitchii Cultivation Guide

Name: Nepenthes veitchii

Highland/Lowland: Both Lowland forms and highland forms
Country of Origin: Borneo,Indonesia
Natural Habitat: Grows epiphytically (on trees)
Described by: Frederick William Burbidge

Cultivation Guide:

Cultivation ease: Easy
Lighting: 80% to full sunlight
Potting Medium: Cocopeat, Cocochips,Sphagnum moss
Temperature: Intermediate
Humidity: 50% to 90%
Watering: Once a day

Propagation: Stem Cutting, Seeds.

Remarks:

A very beautiful species with very large flaring peristome which comes with different colour and forms.

This species grows well in full sun and can be very slow growing for a few years.

Veitchii 'Hose mountains' and veitchii 'pink' from MT are females.

NepNut 8th September 2009 01:17 AM

Re: Nepenthes veitchii Cultivation Guide

If I may add, some H/L form especially from Bario tends to grow as ground dwelling plant rather than as epiphtye.

arvin555 8th September 2009 01:54 AM

The Pink form Veitchii which I have seem to not be happy in Lowland conditions, now that we get rain and thus cooler temperatures, it has started to produce small to medium pitchers.

I also heard that because of the very short internodes of Veitchii stem cutting is a bit of a challenge.

Ali, great work on the guide! I like how you put in ease of cultivation info. :)

TTFN
Arvin

plantlover 8th September 2009 04:14 PM

Mine is growing in the same conditions as my other neps. Mine is the Hose Mountain form.

kit1212 8th September 2009 04:54 PM

Does veitchii hose mountain and bario do well here?

NepNut 8th September 2009 05:42 PM

Kit1212,
Both can do OK here.

From my own experience, I found N. veitchii to be a fussy plant. Even for L/L N. veitchii... it can decide to stop making pitchers all the sudden, then keep on growing a few leaves then start to produce one or two pithcers and the process will repeat itself. As I'm still new to neps, I would rate cultivation ease for N. veitchii as easy to moderate. :blush:

Please note that my experince is only base on L/L outdoor tropical growing condition.

kit1212 8th September 2009 09:51 PM

This may sound stupid but I have to ask.Will veitchii produce bigger pitcher if given cooling condition compare to lowland condition?

Robert 8th September 2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kit1212 (Post 20331)
This may sound stupid but I have to ask.Will veitchii produce bigger pitcher if given cooling condition compare to lowland condition?

lowland veitchii are found mostly around hills and mt, growing epiphytically (on tree branches and tree crowns) and lithophytically( on rocks). It prefered all year round-airy, cool and humid conds thus seldom found around sea level where it's drier and warm.

To answer your question - yes, provision of cooling conds will produce bigger pitcher.

Marigoldsfail21 10th September 2009 05:45 AM

Is the 'Hose mountains' form a highlander?

kentosaurs 10th September 2009 11:48 AM

I guess so since i have it and it produces very small pitchers for me...