Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Oh no..are they wanna die?? (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1059)

alienfx 25th August 2008 10:13 AM

Re: Oh no..are they wanna die??

What i see normally at nursery's is that they keep the neps under the black net shade.So the nep acclimatized to that environment.From the photos you have posted the plants will be exposed to direct sun and there will be usually higher wind blow between the semi-d/bunglows houses.So the humidity is low.Neps need more humidity.If possible place it in front of ur house or behind ur house where there is some blockage from the winds.Anyway,neps are tough plants.They will suit themselves to the new environment.Existing pitchers will die to give chance for new pitchers which is suitable to the surrounding to environment.So dont worry ya.

Aliamyz 25th August 2008 10:19 AM

But i've seen lants with tons of pitchers in one plant...how's that?

David 25th August 2008 10:26 AM

harlem2347,

Evenhthough ampullarias are found in shaded conditions in the wild, it is their basel pitchers and leaves that are shaded. Sometimes covered completely by dead leaves and other plants. However, their long vines are always exposed to sunlight. Sometimes full sunlight. Whatever it is, they are still plants and need sunlight to make food.

Also, if you have a red ampullaria and want it to have really red pitchers, cover the pitchers totally from sunlight. But you must provide lots of sunlight for the leaves. The pitchers will turn blood red. It's similar to N. sp. viking.

Aliamyz,

I don't think so the pitchers on a Nepenthes can last for years. So far I've not seen this happening on my neps or known of other growers with this phenomena. Even for my truncata, it last for only 1 year +. Usually, the pitchers will last from 3-18 months depending on the species, growing condition and eating habit. The majority of species will have picthers that only last from 3-6 months. But I might be wrong. Do correct me if so. Perhaps other growers can share their experiences here with regards to this.

Aliamyz 25th August 2008 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alienfx (Post 2834)
What i see normally at nursery's is that they keep the neps under the black net shade.So the nep acclimatized to that environment.From the photos you have posted the plants will be exposed to direct sun and there will be usually higher wind blow between the semi-d/bunglows houses.So the humidity is low.Neps need more humidity.If possible place it in front of ur house or behind ur house where there is some blockage from the winds.Anyway,neps are tough plants.They will suit themselves to the new environment.Existing pitchers will die to give chance for new pitchers which is suitable to the surrounding to environment.So dont worry ya.

Yes ,you reminded me something Alienfx,:biggrin:
I saw some red ventrata's and miranda's at my local nursery so ,i asked them the name( eventhough i knew it earlier:tongue:).They told me that the plants are alata.I told them that they are xmiranda's and xventrata's.
They told me a little information about nepenthes.
They told me that you have to fill the pitchers up with water and thats all and put it in very shady place.:laugh:

harlem2347 25th August 2008 10:39 AM

:smile: Hi! Aliamyz…
May I know what is truncate?? :confused:
Actually my dad put them in the shade…But will get some sunshine in the afternoon..
Maybe like this so their leaves burn…
I already tell me dad many time..but he very bigotry..he said that’s ok..aii!! https://forum.petpitcher.net/images/icons/icon8.gif
If I still like this, my nepenthes will die or not?? :confused:
Wah…they so coddle…Ok..I will be careful..
Thanks for ur reply!! :smile:

harlem2347 25th August 2008 12:25 PM

:smile: Hi! Alienfx…
Actually my dad put them beside my house…
Morning no have sunshine..but afternoon get some direct sunshine come in…
I already tell my dad before, but he dun want move..he say just put like that that’s ok..aii…very headache…
Thanks!!

harlem2347 25th August 2008 12:26 PM

:smile: Hi! Aliamyz…
For that tons of pitchers in one plant…that cups still ok, but their surface leaf get little brown and burn..maybe is sunshine problem….
Oic..ok..I will go search it after that…wanna c the 'King Of Nepenthes'..haha!! :2thumbup:
Ooo….like that I more reassurance….
If not, next time dad dun want me plant Nepenthes again..:tongue:
Thanks!

harlem2347 25th August 2008 12:37 PM

:smile: Hi! David…
Oic…I ask that seller yesterday saturday, he said the big ampullarias also can full sunlight..But I dun dare, I scare it die. So just put beside my house..but will get some sunshine on morning and noon a while…
Thanks!!