Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Exile (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1967)

alcran 4th February 2009 10:32 AM

Exile

4 Attachment(s)
Recently, I found out that my ventricosa had mites. I decided to see how far I could push it. The temperature is a cool 27 F. More to come later.

Attachment 1183
Attachment 1185
Attachment 1184
Attachment 1186

arvin555 4th February 2009 11:15 AM

Re: Exile

Poor plant! :( Alcran, you have to understand that though they are intermediate to highlands, they are not going to be able to tolerate freezing temperatures like that! Please get them back in!

I think that a more gentle (yet still radical) approach to mites is to soak the whole plant and pot in water for 4 hours!

Also very weird that your Ventricosa doesn't have as lancellate leaves as what I think they should, maybe it's a hybrid? Or maybe adaptation to colder weather, not sure!

TTFN
Arvin

alcran 4th February 2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Poor plant! Alcran, you have to understand that though they are intermediate to highlands, they are not going to be able to tolerate freezing temperatures like that! Please get them back in!
This plant has infected my densiflora and hamata, it had to die.

Amelie.Poulain 4th February 2009 11:32 AM

What about trying the CO2 treatment, after all the plant had to die, so there's no harm in trying.

Just my 2-cents worth.

~A~

arvin555 4th February 2009 10:48 PM

Okay understand you are pissed with the plant, but please do also consider that it was not the plant's fault, it's the pests fault. As A mentioned why not use it for experiments, like CO2 method or the water dunk method that I mentioned. But maybe by this time, too late already :(

Consider that some people do find it hard to keep ventricosas... me included, so I also feel bad that it is almost surely going to die.

TTFN
Arvin

Aliamyz 5th February 2009 05:30 PM

With snow like that,i bet you can grow villosa;)

edwardyeeks 5th February 2009 09:04 PM

Oooohhh!!!! That's really cold!!!! You could try some other method, but I doubt ventricosa can stand that temperature. Worst come to worst, maybe you can try spraying some insect repellant. But that IS COLD.....well, good luck.

Cheers

alcran 6th February 2009 06:34 AM

Well, its dead and hopefully any mites in the soil are too. Does anyone know how cold resistant mites are?

Amelie.Poulain 6th February 2009 11:06 AM

Well, to be absolutely sure, you can try putting the whole thing minus the pot in a bag & nuke it. Otherwise pour hot water to definitely kill the mites.

With cold treatment I worry that we might only end up killing the plant but the pest go to dormancy and come spring they'll be back with a vengence!

alienfx 7th February 2009 10:36 AM

Well, its sad to see some people are cruel to plants.Killing plants is as cruel as killing animals also.Its not the plants fault.You can give it away if you dont want it.I know the plants are cheap in western countries due to higher currency exchange but killing them cause youre angry with them is not good.Anyway,good luck in your future dealings with mites.