Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Projects (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   seed bank for petpitcher.net (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3068)

cbkhoon 23rd September 2009 11:44 PM

seed bank for petpitcher.net

i wonder petpitcher.net may setup its own seed bank as ICPS do. This may benefits all forummers in always getting viable seeds. Seed exchange maybe available as well.

What do you guys say?

TranMinh 23rd September 2009 11:54 PM

Re: seed bank for petpitcher.net

Great idea. I think it should be Asia Pacific seeds bark.

sooxiwei 24th September 2009 12:49 AM

support since it gather all seeds of different nep, make it easy for purchasing since the forum market wasn't that active:1thumbup:

David 24th September 2009 12:53 AM

Hmm... this is an interesting idea! Why not? But for this to work, we will need member's support. Also it would be best for this to be a seed bank for all CP species, not just Nepenthes.

NepNut 24th September 2009 01:26 AM

This is a very interesting suggestion. Actually, how did ICPS organize, run and maintain this?? As far as I know, seed particularly the nepenthes seeds have very short viability period...

cbkhoon 24th September 2009 01:38 AM

i just went thru how ICPS does for their seed bank. I think we can do the same way but only limit the offer to malaysia or certain south east asia countries... we might have problem to send the seeds into some countries without declaring them.

I suggest we may fine tune the seed bank rules from time to time to get the best result. I believe that some forummers some time do nothing when thier NEP produce seeds, or maybe they are not utilising the seeds in 100%, why not we share the seeds thru the seed bank, this is a way to spread this hobby, yet producing great plants.

just my 2 cents

strath76 24th September 2009 07:17 AM

A good idea but it does take quite a lot of time to manage. My suggestion would be to base it on a system that allows members of the forum to purchase a certain number of packets per year (perhaps on calender year), but to allow additional packets to be 'traded' for donations. An example would be to allow the purchase of 5 packets per year and then to be allowed to either purchase or receive free seeds for seed donations. For the later exchange I am thinking that for every 3 packets of seed you donate you get 1 packet from the seed bank.

The idea behind this is that it encourages people to donate seed and doesn't rely as heavily on a few people consistently donating to maintain the seed bank.

David 24th September 2009 12:25 PM

Good thoughts and suggestions Adam. I agree with you... and I also agree that it will take alot of time to manage. Will need some sort of database to keep track of member's seed donation and the amount of seeds they've received within the calendar year.

We can charge a minimal amount (below market price) for the seeds plus postage costs. Those who donate do not need to purchase the seeds or pay for postage. ICPS is also not charging those who donate seeds but I think they still charge postage fees.

I think it can work if we do not charge postage fees as well for those who donate seeds. Since we are collecting some funds from those who did not donate. We can use that fund to pay for the envelope and postage for those who donate to the seed bank.

Perhaps charge those who did not donate RM1.00 per packet? This amount would not discourage members from purchasing the seeds since it is very minimal. If you donate 3 packets of seeds and get one packet free, the seed bank would have RM2 from the sale of the other 2 packets. This would be able to cover the cost of packing and posting the one packet to the person who donates the seeds. It can work!

plantlover 24th September 2009 01:35 PM

I have many extra byblis seeds and drosera seeds to share. I hope petpitcher can really have its own seedbank

cbkhoon 24th September 2009 02:42 PM

i have some penang red albomarginata seeds to donate as well... let's all make this happen.