Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Lower pitchers are called lowers because.... (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3748)

marvin1997 20th January 2010 04:03 PM

Lower pitchers are called lowers because....

3 Attachment(s)
I never knew they would differ THAT much:sweating:This is my viking x xkuchinggensis:
Attachment 3237

Attachment 3238

Attachment 3239
The one on the right is two weeks earlier than the big one...and I didn't use anny fert...I actually let them sit on another pot but after they drop down I just let them sit on the floor...And the big one was forming and...tadaa!Let every hanging nep of yours that has lower sit on the floor!!!:1thumbup:*biggrin2*

caseyhoo 20th January 2010 06:30 PM

Re: Lower pitchers are called lowers because....

It may be because the plant is new and stress. So, pitcher is small at beginning and it is settle down now. Just 2cents

marvin1997 20th January 2010 07:24 PM

Zduuno I thought it was the floor haha!

NepNut 20th January 2010 10:38 PM

Actually it's partly true... Pitcher developed resting on the ground is usually bigger and tends to be more squat (roundish) as well. For your case, this might be the result of resting on ground and plant started to acclimatise to your growing condition like Casey pointed out.

delphiguy 21st January 2010 10:17 AM

I have also noticed that pitchers that developed resting on something is more
bigger, may it be the potting mix or maybe another pot or maybe another
leaf... than the ones left hanging in the air. It could be because those
pitchers resting on something doesn't stress the leaf it is attached to.

NepNut 21st January 2010 11:58 AM

Yes, I also came to the same conclusion why the pitchers developed resting on something to support it's weight will tends to be bigger. I think it's a natural reaction from the plant if the pitcher is develop without somekind of support, it'll reduced it's weight by producing smaller pitcher.

Actually, it's not only lower pitcher, same thing happen with upper pitchers too... If the tendril can grab on to something, the upper pitchers develop that way will also tends to be bigger compared to the ones that the tendril is dangling freely (if develop at all)... this is what I observed personally.

marvin1997 21st January 2010 08:04 PM

I'm going to put my raff on the floor haha

kevyn chan 21st January 2010 08:43 PM

i also observed that those pitchers resting on the potting media gets globosed compared to those hanging freely.
i dont dare to put my neps on the floor cos scared of pests.....my hanging neps has slugs in the pitcher.....how i wonder they climb into the pitchers. as long as they dont destroy the pitchers, i'm ok however once a while i can still see snails on the leaves, i had a tough time fending off snails from my orchids. anyone has some brilliant ideas other than using pesticides and snail baits?:blush:

marvin1997 22nd January 2010 07:05 PM

Buy some HUGE neps and well they're doomed...Maybe

paphioboy 23rd January 2010 03:05 PM

IMHO, snail bait is the simplest, most effective way to kill those slimy pests. Remember to scatter around (not IN) every pot. You'll see the results the next morning.

Marvin, I'm afraid big neps do not catch snails. I've seen snails climb out of my nep Miranda pitchers. I'm not even sure why they went in there in the first place.. :p