Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Dionaea muscipula (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   My VFT... (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=2238)

zulteh279 21st April 2009 11:54 PM

My VFT...

3 Attachment(s)
Well,this are my only VFT left. Used to have bout 5 pots,but all dead and left me with one...Q for you guys,is i OK to repot/devide my VFT during its active grow?my VFT has three growing point.planing to try the leaf pulling method to...

my VFT
Attachment 1479
Attachment 1480
the active growing point
Attachment 1481

TS 22nd April 2009 09:26 PM

Re: My VFT...

Hi Zulteh,
Can you tell us more about your growing condition? Outdoor/indoor? direct sun? how many hours of sunlight? water/tray method? what growing media, how you handle dormancy etc...etc. With the info provided, it would be easier for us to answer you.
I have my VFTs growing for many years already, still growing fine.
Your VFT looked fine to me, it'll grow better if more sunlight is given. Actually it's best to divide it during active growth, it will grow back rather quickly.

funkychips 22nd April 2009 10:57 PM

Zulteh, just a curious question. Can you recall when you first bought them? As I am interested to observe how long can a VFT last on average grown in our climate (given it is one plant by itself) without any dormancy. TS, if we do not give dry dormancy to it what will happen to the plant? Will it keep growing or will it force itself to go into dormancy? TIA!

TS 23rd April 2009 02:35 AM

VFT will grow vigorously in the 1st year in your hand, no matter you want it or not, it will find its time to sleep (in our tropical climate). It goes into dormancy naturally by cooler period normally rainy season. The leaves will dry down and the plant shrinks, and becomes very urgly. If you don't provide sleeping time, it'll get weaken. You would be lucky if it wakes up for the 1st year but you may not have any luck for the 2nd year and it probably won't wake up anymore.

paphioboy 23rd April 2009 10:11 AM

I gave my VFT dry dormancy last year and its psringing back to life, although the new leaves are barely 1cm long.. :p Also tried dry dormancy on sarras last year and all are springing back to life. No flowers though..

funkychips 23rd April 2009 06:10 PM

Just what I needed to know, TS, thank you so much!!! :smile:
Paphioboy: When your sarras grew back is it as big as when you initially gotten it or is it smaller in size?

marcos ono 25th April 2009 07:47 AM

You must inform how do you cultivate your VFT.
Your VFT is too green, more sun light is neede. I repote my plants once a year. No need to pass a biger pot just change the sphagnum moss.
You can separate or devite the plants any time.
Watering all the time for 3 days is good after repoted.

zulteh279 28th April 2009 12:50 AM

Sorry for the late respond...

Thanks for your feedback guys....
Well, these are my growing conditions: outdoor, under full sunlight (average sunlight=8hr), water tray method, media sphagnum moss.
I bought the plants last year at Jusco, just like the pic below...
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uplo...dfa9470c1e.jpg

To be honest, I did not know that there are methods used for dormancy for VFT in our climate until I discover this forum. My VFT that have passed-away died in my care because I did not give the plants dormancy period, what I do is just left it in the water tray even went it slow/stopped growing. Eventually, the plant root to dead...
The VFT that I’m going to repot actually just spring back from the short dormant period...

So guys, I would really appreciate if you guys give me some advice what I should do to my last specimen of VFT...
Thanks...

TS 28th April 2009 09:07 PM

Hi Zulteh, if you want more pots of plants, by all mean go ahead transplanting them, don't have to worry. You could also do the leaf pulling experiment if you want too. But I find VFTs look better when they grow in clumps. :laugh:
8 hours of sunlight should bring out the colour but your VFT looked so green. :unsure: What is the day & night temperature at your place?