Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Dionaea muscipula (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Problems that you might get when buying your VFT online by Bare Root (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=4190)

Harris Azariel 17th June 2010 04:15 PM

Problems that you might get when buying your VFT online by Bare Root

well just wanna tell to those who dont know bcause if you dont know,the VFT might end up in the garbage although it didnt die yet.this are the things that MIGHT happen:

1.your plant will lose some leaves
2.Your plant traps are all closed and contain blacks on their leaves
3.it looks like dying(looks very wilt)

well this happens bcoz of the dark box(where theplant is packed),shaky ride(the truck that brings that parcel might shake and close the traps), and Uprooting.

After the plant reach your house,DONT give them direct sunlight for about a week.keep them near the window where it can get warm and give them morning sun for 25mins for the whole week.if you really wanna give them sunlight,shade a little like putting a translucent plastic above the pot.

then after a week,try give them 1hour direct sunlight,the second day u give 2hours,and so on until it get use to the direct sun.

btw i forgot 1thing,if u wanna know they died or not,check its rhizome.if it stills white,means the plant is healthy and alive.if it turns brown-black,say bye bye

Hope This Helps:biggrin:

plantlover 17th June 2010 11:58 PM

Re: Problems that you might get when buying your VFT online by Bare Root

Thanks for sharing, although people here probably buy from nurseries or other members.

Harris Azariel 18th June 2010 01:51 AM

yea they bought it from other forumers but the "other forumers" packed it in a dark box and bare rooted.thats what cause this.

plantlover 18th June 2010 02:24 AM

Oh. My plant always arrives beautifully so I don't know about this.

kevyn chan 18th June 2010 10:48 AM

just my dua cent, if it is posted then the box should be dark inside...unless you use a translucent container...if you use a translucent container, poslaju will not send it for you, it must be wrapped in brown paper.....and just for your info, poslaju dont send live plants or animals.....that is why the dockets under Keterangan Item, sender will fill up as 'souvenirs', 'computer parts', 'frame' and so forth......to send via courier service, expensive one thing, you still need to wrapped them nicely too.....only airpack sends styrofoam box (live fishes) and i heard they are phasing this service out soon.....welcome to the postal service in m'sia.:closedeyes:

Harris Azariel 18th June 2010 12:13 PM

btw if you just receive the plant,u can use artificial light for the first week.use a Fluorescent 15watt-36watt 6200k.put the light 4-6cm above the plant as long as the temp at that point doesnt reach 90-95 degress fahrenheite.

2hours of artificial light:1hour of sunlight

plantlover 18th June 2010 03:30 PM

I just throw them under burning sun and they still thrive. VFTs are not that fussy. Only dormancy is annoying.

Harris Azariel 19th June 2010 11:53 AM

hey,any of u guys do the dormancy that David post?the dry one which u put it in shade or ...... i prefer fridge bcoz theres a guy doin that dormancy and didnt work.

marvin1997 19th June 2010 04:01 PM

I put them in fridge twice the first one succeed second fail:crying: Can share how you do it?

Harris Azariel 19th June 2010 09:59 PM

ok tell me.do u drasticly put it in the fridge from direct sunlight without giving it shade or cold temp like air-Conditioner?when u bring it out from the fridge do u put it in direct sunlight drasticly?let me tell u some tips.b4 putting it in the fridge,put it in shade for a week or two before putting it in the fridge.u can also put it in an air conditionered room for about 3-4days b4 fridging it.put it in an airtight container in the fridge.wrap its roots with long fibered sphagnum or moist paper towel.remember,moist means when u squeeze it,it doesnt come out too much water.ok the next one is when the time the plant ends its dormancy.when u wanna bring it out from the fridge,dont give it sunlight but just give it warmer temps like in an air conditionered room for 1day.the second day,u can lower your Air-Cond's temp or turn off it but leave in your room.the third day,put it out side where it wont get direct sunlight.just getting some reflection of partially sunlight.the 4th day,u can put it into morning sun for 25mins.and the fifth day,put it about 2hours in morning sun,then sixth day,give it about 1-2hours of direct sunlight and so on......

sorry for writing too long but i dont know how to shorten it.hope this helps xD