Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   new discovery for me! (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=4508)

Vincent 21st September 2010 03:26 PM

new discovery for me!

I just found out that my elevation is at 2,180 ft (660 m)it is ideal for lowland nepenthes, and we are by a body of fresh water lake. I used to think that my conditions were highland, because i still get temperature drops at night, and all highland neps do really well. But when i can grow a nepenthes bicalcarata with all my other plants, it boggled my mind.Now granted, all lowland plants were alittle stunted, but now have resumed normal growth and are on there way to pitchering. Here is a photo i just took of bicalcarata ‘red flush’. I would show more, but the plant light turned off for the night:1thumbup:

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...9-20at2322.jpg

kentosaurs 21st September 2010 04:26 PM

Re: new discovery for me!

Congrats on your success....:)

delphiguy 21st September 2010 05:34 PM

Congratulations, your quite lucky, you're located in a place where intermediates/
highlanders will do well and still be able to grow lowlanders as evidence by your bical
which clearly shows the new leaves are getting bigger.

Harris Azariel 21st September 2010 08:11 PM

no wonder u can grow ur Ampullaria nicely!gratz dude

Vincent 22nd September 2010 05:06 AM

thank u, now all i need is for my villosa to mind! =P

SirKristoff 23rd September 2010 04:35 AM

Here in the US. elevation reflects very little on your climate... Idaho is Idaho and still would be put on my list for highland locations, sure your elevation is lowland, however the climate is not "lowland" in nepenthes standards... Bicals can grow as highlanders, I have seen it done, your bical will grow and grow, but I see no pitchers on it, and that very well may be a reflection on the fact that your temperatures are more balanced on the highland side, especially as we enter fall and our temps are on the decline...

Vincent 23rd September 2010 07:08 AM

very true, so all i really need is to put lowlanders in some kind of bubble so it can retain heat and more humidity, as my humidity doooes fluctuate, but also something that doesnt hurt space,as its limited. i use my whole bed room as a grow room, as well as the whole kitchen table, and out side like today.

Vincent 23rd September 2010 07:12 AM

oh, and sir kristoff, it is on its way to making pitchers. For awhile it wasnt, stuggling with my highland-ish setting. but now the heater kicks in at night now and the lowland plants are loving it! I still open the window for 2 hours or so, then it really cools down in there.

Another thing is, my nepenthes mirabillis var. echinostoma acclimated just fine; sure, it took a year, but it has been rewarding seeing the lowland plants struggle to acclimate.

just seen what your elavation is kristoff, its 40-45 ft, not bad humidity wize is it??

plantlover 24th September 2010 02:45 PM

Congratulations! Wish i have such good conditions too.

SirKristoff 24th September 2010 03:19 PM

lol 40-45 feet for me? o.O not in my location...my area is about 600FTASL.... but is most definitely not in lowland conditions...
for example, currently our average temps are 70 in the day, 45-50 at night....
our summer averages are 85 in the day, 50-55 at night...
our humidity is generally pretty high since we live pretty close to the puget sound and the ocean, not to mention most of this area is temperate rainforest...

my plants are grown outside from late spring through into mid fall (or whenever nighttime temps reach above 39ºF)

my lowlanders grow in doors in a terrarium with other nep seedlings, our some dews....averaging 80-85 in the day, 75-80 at night....

good to hear your bical is starting to pitcher, and on the echinostoma, ive seen mirabilis grown successfully as a highlander by many people. :P