Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Introduction (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Hi from South Africa (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=4688)

Moelich 10th December 2010 03:20 PM

Hi from South Africa

Hi, my name's Johan and I'm fairly new to carnivorous plants. I live in Durban, South Africa with a hot and humid subtropical climate which works well for my plants. I currently have Drosera, Dionaea and Sarracenia. I hope to get hold of some Nepenthes species early next year as well. Will post some photos soon.

I've already found a lot of useful info on the site, and will probably bug you with species ID soon, as a lot of the nurseries around here don't have a clue on what they sell and I have some plants feeling a bit lost without their name tags!

Here's me with my other hobby, radio control gliders:

http://www.moelich.co.za/images/johan-toko-300.jpg

Cheers
Johan

caseyhoo 10th December 2010 05:56 PM

Re: Hi from South Africa

Friend, welcome to PP.

May I know what you means by "humid subtropical climate". :shy:

Moelich 10th December 2010 06:09 PM

Hi caseyhoo, thanks for the welcome.
The weather here is mostly hot with a lot of moisture in the air, and the winter doesn't get very cold. There's a lot of rainfall in summer and less in winter. Does that explain it well? :smile:

allenphoon 10th December 2010 07:38 PM

welcome....base on your description, you may grow a lot of cp with that condition, congratz!!

allenphoon 10th December 2010 07:38 PM

except those which prefer dormancy, i guess, welcome!!

LJ_Tan 11th December 2010 12:59 AM

Welcome to PetPitcher ....

paphioboy 11th December 2010 11:09 PM

Hi and welcome to PP.. :)

Moelich 12th December 2010 02:52 AM

Thanks for the welcomes. :1thumbup:

Tarence 20th December 2010 09:20 AM

hi Johan...welcome to PP.....Sundews are indigenous to South Africa right ? in Malaysia, we have a lot of wild nepenthes ( although shrinking rapidly due to poaching & development ) & the occasional sundew in East Malaysia.

Btw, how does a radio control glider take off ? it`s motorised propellors keep it in afloat ? it doesn`t look light but i`m sure it has to be.

cheers,

Tarence

bactrus 20th December 2010 11:11 AM

Tut, tut Tarence, notice Johan is holding his glider standing on high ground. *biggrin2*
Correct me if I am wrong, you can make gliders gain altitude using updraft.

Moelich 20th December 2010 04:24 PM

Yes, several of the Sundew species are from South Africa, such as the Cape Sundew, Alice Sundew, and some others I can't remember now.

The slope soaring gliders you throw off a cliff and hope it comes back in one piece! The wind that blows against a slope or cliff creates the updraft that keeps it flying without any motor. Just search on Youtube or Vimeo for "slope soaring" and you'll see how it's done.

Tarence 21st December 2010 09:16 AM

Moelich, you are lucky then to have the sundews there. Have you seen them growing in the wild ?

Haha, radio control gliders sounds like fun.

Moelich 21st December 2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarence (Post 35200)
Moelich, you are lucky then to have the sundews there. Have you seen them growing in the wild ?

Haha, radio control gliders sounds like fun.

Yes I've seen sundews in the mountains of Cape Town and surrounding areas. I think it was Cape Sundew and Alice Sundew that I've seen, although that was several years ago before I had a real interest in them. I'll try and find them again and take some photos.

Johan

bactrus 21st December 2010 03:56 PM

We await patiently for your photos. Maybe if you can also take photos of the general landscape to show the area it is growing in, water, shade etc description. Tried several times to germinate south african sundew seeds but none viable. Of course if there is a picture of D. regia be a super bonus!

Thanks you before hand.

Harris Azariel 21st December 2010 05:25 PM

D.Regia is big!

Moelich 21st December 2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bactrus (Post 35214)
We await patiently for your photos. Maybe if you can also take photos of the general landscape to show the area it is growing in, water, shade etc description. Tried several times to germinate south african sundew seeds but none viable. Of course if there is a picture of D. regia be a super bonus!

Thanks you before hand.

If I make the trip up the mountain I will definitely take photos.

D.regia can apparently only be found in Bainskloof Pass, which is a bit far from me and I'm only in the Western Cape for 2 weeks on holiday so won't have a chance to do that trip. But I'll do my best to find the other species in the Cape area before I go back to Durban.

bactrus 22nd December 2010 11:18 AM

Western Cape is beautiful. Love the wine region especially. You have a beautiful country.

Moelich 22nd December 2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bactrus (Post 35239)
Western Cape is beautiful. Love the wine region especially. You have a beautiful country.

I was lucky enough to grow up in Stellenbosch, which is 30km away from Cape Town. I now stay in Durban, and visit the Cape from time to time.
Outside Stellenbosch is the Jonkershoek Nature Reserve, where Drosera can also be found. Here's a previous post from one of your members with photos of Drosera in Jonkershoek:
https://archive.petpitcher.net/forum/showthread.php?p=33754

Here's another Drosera from Jonkershoek:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SundewSwartbos.jpg
What species is this?

bactrus 22nd December 2010 03:52 PM

Was in Paarl, Stellenbosch and Franshhoek for a holiday. Wasn't interested in CP then otherwise would have hunted and shot D regia on location with my camera.

Tarence 23rd December 2010 01:54 PM

Gee, i don`t know what sundew that is. Pretty exotic looking. I bet it doesn`t grow well here in M`sia though. Heheh.

We are all fascinated with D.Regia...absolutely the king sundew. *smile*

thx for sharing.....i guess you mightl be interested in seeing our nepenthes in the wild yah ? the highland ones are amazing in colour, size & shape.

Tarence 23rd December 2010 02:02 PM

i googled drosera trinervia & it does bear some resemblance to the one you asked to identify.....but i`m not sure.

bactrus 24th December 2010 12:25 PM

The identity, I think will have to wait for a while.

Side tracked, anyone here is growing D Regia? Yes that's my christmas wishlist.

TS 17th January 2011 11:34 AM

Haha, a friend from South Africa!!! A big welcome :laugh:!!!
Hope to see your CPs and the photos soon. You have a beautiful country. :1thumbup:
Again, welcome to Petpitcher! Have fun!

edmund83 18th January 2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarence (Post 35273)
i googled drosera trinervia & it does bear some resemblance to the one you asked to identify.....but i`m not sure.

drosera trinervia??? i just order two pack of seed to try. that is very common spesies in south africa....

Moelich, pepole here cant wait to enjoy your photo now? :1thumbup:

Moelich 18th January 2011 03:18 PM

Unfortunately I didn't have time to go look for Sundews while I was in Cape Town on holiday. I've also been quite busy with other things lately so I'm not very active on the forum.

edmund83 18th January 2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moelich (Post 37231)
Unfortunately I didn't have time to go look for Sundews while I was in Cape Town on holiday. I've also been quite busy with other things lately so I'm not very active on the forum.

It all right moelich. we all part time for this hobby as well :biggrin:.