Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Sarracenia (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Stratification? (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=3103)

marvin1997 29th September 2009 10:25 PM

Stratification?

Needed for sarra seeds right?But exactly I do that?:spinning::confused:Saw a video in you tube.....the guy mixes the seeds with peat and perlite and after that he just put the whole mix into the pots:sweating:Adam can you help?:sweating:

arvin555 29th September 2009 11:54 PM

Re: Stratification?

Stratify, I have tried experimenting no stratification of fresh seeds, nothing. So Stratify is better. Mix peat and a bit of perlite if you like (but not necessary) make it quite moist then put in the seeds and put in ref, forgot how long 1 or 2 months. I am about to take out seeds from my ref that I have stratified. Sarras need stratificatiton. You can try GA3, but I have no idea if that will surely work or not.

TTFN
Arvin

strath76 30th September 2009 06:21 AM

Hi guys. The method I use is to put some milled sphagnum (small bits of sphagnum) into a zip lock bag and add the seeds. It needs to be moist. I have it so that if I squeeze the bag I can see water but it is all soaked up when I let go. You then just put this into the fridge for 4-10 weeks. Please note that the longer you leave it (the closer to 10 weeks) the better the germination rate.

I usually leave mine for between 6-8 weeks. You then just sprinkle the seeds out onto your normal media (I use equal parts peat and sand) and watch them grow. This stage is where I found out that long fibered sphagnum is not very good, too hard to spread the seeds out.

You can just sow the seeds into the pot you want to use, cover it and put it into the fridge but it takes up a lot of space.

TS 30th September 2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strath76 (Post 21143)
You can just sow the seeds into the pot you want to use, cover it and put it into the fridge ...

This was what I did for Sarra seed stratification too, but what I used was a plastic container with some milled moist sphagnum moss. I left it for two months in the fridge. The germination rate was good. One thing good about this method is we could just take out the container and place it in a bright place and wait, that's it.

marvin1997 30th September 2009 05:39 PM

Do I need to cover it?

strath76 30th September 2009 09:56 PM

You need to cover it to make sure that it does not dry out. If you just put it into the fridge the media and seeds will dry out.

arvin555 1st October 2009 01:18 AM

My method (and I am not too much experienced with this really) is to put the medium, then the seeds in a plastic bag (small) then I squeeze out the air and then tape up the plastic. That is it! I'm about to open bags of my stratified seeds in a few days time, actually it is out of the ref already but I am slowly making it get used to room temp by exposing them in airconditioned air at night for a few nights. Just a precaution that I want to do, I think it might not be necessary. I just feel it's a way to gently wake them up. :)

TTFN
Arvin

marvin1997 1st October 2009 03:38 PM

Two months or few days?

TS 1st October 2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin1997 (Post 21181)
Two months or few days?

Hi Marvin, not too sure what you mean (you didn't quote who's post), do you mean what Arvin did to expose it slowly to room temperature?

marvin1997 2nd October 2009 02:27 PM

Ya...