Read-Only Forum Archive
PetPitcher Forum

PetPitcher Forum (https://forum.petpitcher.net/index.php)
-   Nepenthes (https://forum.petpitcher.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Campanulata flowering soon..... (https://forum.petpitcher.net/showthread.php?t=1863)

Akirasama 12th January 2009 04:25 PM

Campanulata flowering soon.....

Hi...

I am so proud to announce that my campanulata from BE flowering soon...

Is there any campanulata flowering too?

I am not really sure my campa is male or female until I see it's flower but I heard other people saying that most of the nep get from nursery is male plant.

Even so, I still hoping that my campa is a female plant which has the potential to generate seeds for me:biggrin:

If my campa is a female plant then I wish to get some campa pollen so that we can have more little campa in the future:wub: If the campa polle is not available then perhaps we can make some hybrid with it.

If my campa is a male plant, everyone welcome to ask for me the pollen if interested.

I can't wait to see the flower and i will post the picture in next week or 1 week after next week...

Happy growing everyone:tongue:

Aliamyz 12th January 2009 04:52 PM

Re: Campanulata flowering soon.....

The clone from BE is all male if i'm not mistaken Akira and campanulata is the only plant which flowers when they're small so it's better for you to cut away the flower if you just got the plant recently.

Hope this helps;)

NepNut 12th January 2009 05:17 PM

Ya, have heard reports saying flowering may set back the growth...

bactrus 12th January 2009 05:24 PM

Robert, Ali, you're right. In most plants, and I am most familiar with Oil Palm, we ablate (cut off) flowers when the plant is young to encourage girthing- more vegetative growth. Flowering takes lots of energy from plants hence growth will suffer. This is true for all plants but severity of growth setback is plant dependant.

Noobplant 12th January 2009 05:57 PM

i have a campa and the stupid thing alternates between flowers and pitchers

David 12th January 2009 06:18 PM

Noobplant,

Hey, you should be happy. Try to find a "partner" for him/her the next time he/she flowers and get some "babies" (seeds) from it.

kentosaurs 12th January 2009 11:24 PM

Well 70% of neps in the wild are males sooo most in cultivation are males too. Anyways if its still small cut it back.....Unless you wanna take risk cos sometimes rarely though neps might die back.But under your tendor loving care shouldn't :p

Akirasama 13th January 2009 09:50 PM

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments and the information, I really appreciate it a lot:laugh:

Right now I am in a dilemma, should I keep the flower or give it a chance to bloom?

haizzzz.....:crying:

Cindy 14th January 2009 02:27 PM

Unless your plant is more than 6" across, I wouldn't suggest you allow it to flower fully to collect pollen (if male) or to pollinate (if female).

You can allow the flower stalk to unfurl and see what sex the plant is. But even that can set back a 3"-4" plant. So take photos once the flower buds can be seen clearly and cut the stalk off.

Otherwise, be prepared to wait for months before the plant recovers.

If my memory don't fail me, BE has only a male clone which flowers very readily. They have another 5 clones which have not flower yet. So there is still a chance they have a female.

kltower 14th January 2009 02:59 PM

Wah Cindy! you are so knowledgeable. A number of us used to have an MT clone. Just wondered what was its sex. Or did MT and BE got their clones from the same source?

Choong